AWD conversion

collegetuner

Why would you need AWD to drive in the winter? FWD is more than enough to drive in the snow, unless you suck at driving.

depends where you live. you cant get out my driveway in the winter unless you have 4wd

I have seen, on the internet, a CRX with AWD. I believe the donor car was a CR-V.

lift.jpg

I like where your going with this, but really, would it not make more sense to be sure AWD will get you through the snow first, and then put it on the Civic?

Borrow a car, rent a car, lease a car, then spend the real bucks.

AWD comes in so many flavors, you should learn more about it. Then decide if the kind of system Honda offers is what you need.

I read that the older (1995-2000) Honda systems are electronic and will shift as much as 30% to the rear (1980s Honda Wagovans: 15%). Subaru systems can have a sustained 50/50 split but the newer Imprezas can shift 100% to the rear. Porsche S4 models from the early 2000s do not exceed 20% in the front and only in slipping conditions. There are some antiquated mechanical systems, but I am not familiar with their makers.

Too bad that isn't a CRX...

it isn't?

USA is the only place that didn't call the Del Sol a CRX from the factory Del sol was nothing more then the next gen crx.:thumbsup:

Too bad that isn't a CRX...

And an Acura isn't a Honda, right?

del Sol = CR-X = Civic

The del Sol started life in Japan and the UK in 1992, as the CR-X and CR-X del Sol. It's US life started in 93 as the Civic del Sol, and in 95 is when the US stopped badging them as Civic del Sols and simply had the del Sol badge on them. End of lesson for today :p

If there is that much snow, you shouldn't be out driving in it whether or not you have AWD.

Unfortunately, even after getting two feet of snow (sometimes more), most people in the Northeast still have to go to work. :p

^true. its also not the amount of snow, but the ice that forms on the roads. theres a reason they make 4wd cars. also the danger of tourists is a big one, so you have to be able to dodge them

werd. blak ice sucks.:devil:

i remember driving on black ice with my truck, my wheels would be spinning forward and i would still be sliding backwards down the hill. i've seen some people put 2 engines in the car, 1 for the front, one for the back, sounds really expensive though and not really worth the hassle to me.

I read a few years back in Road and Track, that the efforts by some car manufacturers to market their vehicles as all-terrain vehicles is misleading, and that at some point you have to make the decision that what you really need is an H1 Hummer and a satelite cellular phone.

Perhaps some conditions are too dangerous for 4WD, AWD, etc.

werd. blak ice sucks.:devil:

Agreed. Hit some with the Sol a few years back and was headed for a tree in some guy's front yard. I took my changes at cutting the wheel and hit a snowbank on the other side instead, cracked the front bumper a bit but it was better than it would have been hitting the tree lol.>_<

There are absolutely situations that aren't safe for any vehicle, BUT all wheel drive can make a huge difference. There is a really good reason you see far more Honda's in the south, and far more Subaru's in the North.

If you really think you're just as safe in a FWD car, take a winter safety driving course from the state police in any of the northern states. You learn driving techniques in all different types of cars, you learn a lot about driving in the winter, and it's fun as hell. The course is like 20 bucks, totally worth it.

Archived