JDM

airjordan223

making this thread not to get into E fights like most things do, but to discuss what you like, or dont like about the whole JDM scene that is huge right now.

i dont really understand it at all. yes i do agree that some of the parts are very clean looking, but some things are just so stupid. for example when they have new drivers they have to have that sticker/magnet or whatever on their car and now people are buying them here because its JDM. can you imagine if we had to do that in the US for a new driver, people would hate those stickers, but because its JDM its cool.

another thing i dont really understand is the RHD conversion. the work to do it is insane, and you have to be very skilled and have lots of knowledge. but why? because thats what they have in japan? i could understand if it gave you more power or better handleing but it doesnt, unless im missing some unknown advantage. and you know if japan had LHD people would be converting to that.

so yeah, theres part of my rant, i have much more, but trying to strike up some debate/conversation.

I don't like how somebody can call my hood rice, or your body kit rice, yet spending $200 on a clock, $600 on fog lights, 1000 on a valve cover, isn't considered rice. I don't buy it. Those people are spending a bunch of money on JDM parts that don't increase performance, so how is that different?

Now on the flip side.......I think cars that are converted to look JDM look really, really nice.....like Nancy's CTR clone. Looks sick, I just have a hard time thinking that it's worth the money when a clean car w/ USDM parts can look killer too.

/end rant

yah ive been a lil confused about that 2 and the whole hows things ricey. i mean us gettin the chrome lookin tails people say they are ricey..its jus wat we like it our car to me ricey is when u cut da springs put stickers out ya car for crap u dont have and u add silly things like those fender rings or watever i seen and a big ass aluminum wing..and wat not.

inspect jdm is a fracken tool.

i like jdm cause the fitment and quality is always right on, its just over priced. i also rock the domestic names like benen, skunk2, and eibach. but i have to admit, im a sucker for jdm.

inspect jdm is a fracken tool.

i like jdm cause the fitment and quality is always right on, its just over priced. i also rock the domestic names like benen, skunk2, and eibach. but i have to admit, im a sucker for jdm.

yeah i completely understand where youre coming from. you bought the parts that were good quality, not because its JDM, and your car looks freakin awesome. it just seems like people dont have taste anymore, they just get it because its JDM and no other reason. like you could have a JDM part and this kid would buy it, but then if you have the exact same thing but say its APC, its then rice.

few of my parts are jdm, my new 1 pc jdm headlights, jdm door sills that say legend on it, alot of people have those jdm fenders when you can save some green by making a hole yourself for the side signal. bought the jdm KA7 navi console and with arm rest, because domestics dosent have it only for the RLs navigation system. but i still support the USDM stuff, as long as its not crap.

The reason why I like JDM parts its simply put they are the original j-spec parts, they are ment for your car and it looks much cleaner and fitment looks more flush then USDM, some USDM knock offs are just crap or just dont look right.

I don't like how somebody can call my hood rice, or your body kit rice, yet spending $200 on a clock, $600 on fog lights, 1000 on a valve cover, isn't considered rice. I don't buy it. Those people are spending a bunch of money on JDM parts that don't increase performance, so how is that different?

Now on the flip side.......I think cars that are converted to look JDM look really, really nice.....like Nancy's CTR clone. Looks sick, I just have a hard time thinking that it's worth the money when a clean car w/ USDM parts can look killer too.

/end rant

Yeah, most JDM parts are outrageously priced, and a lot of people tend to buy things that are actually USDM parts and pay and arm and a leg for something they could have gotten from a junk yard. However, if you really research what you're looking for, and search around for a good deal instead of buying it when you first see it, then it pays off. While there are some things that I had to buy "on the spot" for my CRX (ie, the glass panel for the glasstop, and the roof skin), most everything else I held off and waited around until I found it at a "steal", and made out spending a fraction of what most people would pay. Sure, it takes a lot of time and patience, but that's why it's a project.

imo who gives a crap where it came from (usdm or jdm) as long as it looks and/or performs good. i don't see why people would buy the same thing for more money just because it says jdm on it nothing against jdm parts but if you can get the same thing usdm cheaper then why pay more for it

I like some of the JDM, or EDM or whatever parts as quite a few items were just better designs or unique designs depending on the location. For instance: the sun visors on the Del Sol. Whoever designed the USDM ones needs to be kicked in the nuts. The JDM design is far superior in that instance.

seb.james: about your kit issues. here in the states it is the 'cool' thing to do to go out and slap any old mis-matched kit bumpers on your ride, not install side skirts, spray on some crapty paint and then drop you car 5". Their bumpers are all busted up in a week, the paints peeling off, they installed the thing themselves instead of a body shop so its all out of alignment; and then they leave it like that all looking like crap. Eventually they will add skirts, but never bother to paint them and leave them the blue gel coat. It's not so much that kits are bad is that so very few people do them even half right that it has soured many enthusiasts opinion of them whether they look good or not. For every 5 kits I see locally 4 of them are all busted up in some way.

Buying JDM for the purpose of having something labeled JDM is for facking retards.

• 1 year later...
I like some of the JDM, or EDM or whatever parts as quite a few items were just better designs or unique designs depending on the location. For instance: the sun visors on the Del Sol. Whoever designed the USDM ones needs to be kicked in the nuts. The JDM design is far superior in that instance.

seb.james: about your kit issues. here in the states it is the 'cool' thing to do to go out and slap any old mis-matched kit bumpers on your ride, not install side skirts, spray on some crapty paint and then drop you car 5". Their bumpers are all busted up in a week, the paints peeling off, they installed the thing themselves instead of a body shop so its all out of alignment; and then they leave it like that all looking like crap. Eventually they will add skirts, but never bother to paint them and leave them the blue gel coat. It's not so much that kits are bad is that so very few people do them even half right that it has soured many enthusiasts opinion of them whether they look good or not. For every 5 kits I see locally 4 of them are all busted up in some way.

Buying JDM for the purpose of having something labeled JDM is for facking retards.

Amen... :thumbsup:

Archived