Honda S2000 CR

BuddySol

As a final hurrah for the designer (Shigeru Uehara) of the S2000 and NSX has created the S2000 CR...

Honda Press Release

No power increases...but some weightsaving, tuned suspension package, and the fully functional kit/spoiler is said to shave 2-seconds going around Tochigi.

The CR will be offered in 3 colors I believe...with this odd shade of blue being CR exclusive. The other colors I'm not sure but I'm guessing Black and Red. Interior gets rid of the leather seats and the radio and a/c becomes an option. New guages, short shifter, and yellow interior. I wouldn't mind getting into one to see how much improved this is over an S2000...not a pretty car, but I'm sure it'll tear up the track.

So after this year...or maybe next year, the S2000 will finally be discontinued they say. With the latest rumor being that it'll be replaced by a Miata-fighter. EHHH... :(

s2k_cr_1280_11.jpg

s2k_cr_1280_05.jpg

s2k_cr_1280_14.jpg

s2k_cr_1280_17.jpg

CRG, did you goto the NYIAS? Did you see the CR? What'd you think?

the front looks like a fat kid pulling his cheeks apart. but if its function, i guess.

whats it like with an s2k? i was thinking about getting one in a couple years, but im leaning towards getting something with a back seat

Okay, a few other forums I'm on have been talking about this. I personally think Honda screwed the pooch on this one. That spoiler is hideous, the blue is ugly, that front lip looks like some gradeschool kid designed it, horrible wheel gap (did they raise the S2K for the CR model?) and the wheels are fugly. They screwed up big on this one.

Yeah, that's taking a nice car and turning it into something horrible. That's where the phrase "the enemy of good is better" comes from. Why can't people leave things alone?

I'm continally impressed with Honda's judgement. They kill off the three models they had that looked the best, and then they redesign the s2k to look bad to boot. How can a company that makes such great cars also make such blunders?

When the press release came out that CR would be shown at the NYIAS, I figured it'd be ugly bodykit/wing with a suspension/wheel tune up and maybe an exhaust. Kind of easy to guess when that's all the HFP and A-Spec packages have been lately. If Honda did not have a larger engine/modified engine tested for use in the US, that's all these packages are going to end up being. With that said though, this car isn't really geared for the casual S2 buyer...this thing is geared more to the "club racer," hence the CR. This car is meant to be tracked. Granted it ain't the prettiest thing, but if it is true this thing shaved 2-seconds off it's lap time at Tochigi, then it's an accomplishment to Honda engineering since the S2K as it was is a shining example of the Honda philosophy: a light, fast yet efficient, fun to drive car.

Now I wish this wasn't the special edition model that they came out with to close out the generation, but oh well. Time to start pricing the parts I do want. What they need to do is get rid of their designers and get back to designing better looking cars.

As for life with the S2K...I couldn't be happier. I too was thinking something a bit more practical and more luxurious than my Sol...somehow I went the other way though and haven't looked back since. Insurance is killing me tho!! Hah...but yah, the car just fits...kind of hard to explain I guess.

I completely understand about this being a club racer model and is geared more for performance. However, you mean to tell me that they couldn't have made the thing look decent while still improving the track times? Aerodynamics and weight seem to be the biggest two changes. They could have spent some more time making the front lip and rear wing look decent rather than slapping something on there that get's them the downforce they want and say"Done". Wheels are hideous and could have been designed to look really nice and probably been even lighter than the ones they have. As for the wheel gap.......what the crap? If this is a club racer model, then put a nice suspension on it with little to no wheel gap. Lower center of gravity would have knocked some time off at the track too.

I understand what they were going for, just seems like they threw it together real quick to get there. Focused only on performance and sacrificed the look of the car completely to get there.

ill have to agree with hung. it looks like they rushed it. nothing so special about it to make you want it more than an older S2K.

the wing i dont mind as much as the front lip. i could live with the wing. the seats...terrible. such a downgrade from the nice leather s2k seats. maybe if they were leather with the yellow...thatd be badass. but it looks like a complete downgrade. i dont mind the wheels, they arent so bad.

Gr, I'm so pissed I missed the NY debut of this car...and the new Evo...blah!!

fawk me

I saw the new Lancers at a dealer, they're ehh. SportCC mag said it has the same block as the Caliber SRT-4. So its going to be easily(choice or word?) turbo-able.

But about the CR. Ehh doesn't look like anything special. The wing is terrible. The color is alright. I like the baby blue better than that blue. And I can see why they didn't do any power gains. Why would they wanna make their best 4cyl even better?? It would just cost more.

I saw the new Lancers at a dealer, they're ehh. SportCC mag said it has the same block as the Caliber SRT-4. So its going to be easily(choice or word?) turbo-able.

huh? The Evos are already turboed, or do you get another freak-of-nature model over here? I can't even find them in Canada, do you get them in the US? If you do, do you also get the models that hit 60 in 3.9secs that we see in the UK?

Edit: or did you move away from the Evo to chat about normal Lancers? They have always been "ehh" :)

• 1 month later...

the CR doesn't look good at all...as if they are targeting spoiled kids with bad taste who want fast cars...why don't they make two different 2-doors cars...one for the classy people who want performance and reliability and the other for kids who want light cars with power?!

and "The production version of Prototype-X is expected to begin production in November 2007. It is also the first time a Lancer Evolution will ever be sold in Canada"...

I dont think it looked that bad. The color is a nice change from black and red. I love black cars but you see too much of them. I would change the front lip though, you could make it better. But it should be faster, I bet the cost of this CR version is going to be more than everyone thinks. Just like the mugen SI. no performance upgrades but thousands more! A-spec... please, that was a joke. Throw on a lip kit, some suspension, a wing, shift knob, and a badge and you pay.....thousands more. Honda pisses me off sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived