90 Honda Accord LX probs

hondagurly06

I have a 90 Honda Accord LX and it has some serious issues. I bought it back in Feb and had to swap out motors. The problem is: the gas hand doesn't work, it temperature gauge says its overheating when it doesn't feel like it, and it idles irratically. Someone told me something may be wrong with the Idle Air Control Valve.. Is this the problem or what????? :crazy:

check the thermostat...might be bad

when doing that, keep in mind that if the thermostat went bad then the gauge was right and your car really was overheating so there's strong possibility that your head gasket will go soon. i just had to get a new head cuz my thermostat locked up. appearently, hondas are really bad about blowing head gaskets and warping heads whenever they overheat.

• 4 weeks later...
when doing that, keep in mind that if the thermostat went bad then the gauge was right and your car really was overheating so there's strong possibility that your head gasket will go soon. i just had to get a new head cuz my thermostat locked up. appearently, hondas are really bad about blowing head gaskets and warping heads whenever they overheat.

What he said, wouldnt hurt to do a compression check as well and keep an eye on the coolant level over a period of a few days. If you replace the T-Stat I would only use a Honda oem as people have had probs with aftermarket ones. They are about $20.00 at my local honda dealer.

Sounds like 3 or more different problems at one time. The gas hand not working could be related to something left unpluged, bad sending unit; The temp gauge problem, could need a coolant temp. sensor, as long as you really don't think it's overheating for real. Run the car for a while, and when the gauge gets above halfway or 3/4's up, feel the top radiator hose, if it is not extremely hot, or doesn't feel as if there is any coolant in it at all, then you need a thermostat probably.

Archived