2014 Honda CRV Battery in cold weather

Hi - I have a heated garage where my 2014 Honda CRV is kept. Today, the temp outside was 5 degrees -- yes, that is cold! Now, I know car batteries have issues with cold weather, but, this battery is only three years old -- and the car is kept in a heated garage. I started the car up fine in the garage..then drove a few miles to the local store, no problem re-starting the car once I got out of the store for my return trip home. Then, about 30 minutes later, I wanted to go out again -- but the car would not start -- all the symptoms of a dead battery (very little crank, but there was enough power for the radio, lights, etc. just not enough to start). Is this a common issue with Honda batteries that are only 3 years old? Seems that my little drive in 5 degree weather just killed it. Waiting for AAA to come and do a battery check. Sucks, and I am almost willing to pay $100 to AAA, despite the warranty, to replace the battery because I don't want another low-performing Honda battery.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep I'd recommend battery check/replacement, because if anything that few mile drive to the store should've HELPED it rather than hurt it. When the car is running, the alternator recharges the battery (slowly) and runs all electrical components, the battery is only used for starting. If it is determined that the battery is good, then have someone check your alternator. My guess though is that its just a bad battery, really common to loose juice quick in the single digits.

Archived