Head gasket repair worth it?

philly00

My 2003 Honda Civic has about 140K miles on it. Found out recently that the head gasket is shot and I'd need to replace it. Mechanic says it'll be about $1500 and the area on which the new gasket will be seated will need to be machined at a different shop. He said it'll take a couple weeks and might need to be done again if the tolerances aren't exactly accurate. I've heard from non-mechanic friends that replacing a head gasket often leads to other issues in the engine in that it doesn't quite "get along" with other existing parts. Given that the car has about a $2300 blue book value, I'm wondering if it's just better at this point to sell the car for best offer and move along? (Don't want to trade in for a new car.) Also, does the info about the gasket repair and the potential trouble with other engine parts sound accurate?

Thank you

Steve Fillmore

Philadelphia PA

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no if there is damage to the block and u not knowing what to look for and u put it back together then yes u can do more damage but a shop SHOULD be able to tell if the cylinders are scorn or if u have bad rings and as long as the block is good a new head gasket won't hurt it

Archived