1998 honda accord ex coupe V6 emergency brake & brake lights

Doug Sturgess

I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX Coupe that's in great shape. However, I'm having a problem with the emergency brake & all brake lights.

The emergency brake won't release from the locked position. I can remove the trim around the gear shift & press a paper clip into the emergency brake release & release the emergency brake. However, at this point, I don't have any brake lights. The fuses are fine.

A friend that knows a lot about cars looked down by the brake pedal (above it where there's a bunch of wires) and found a male/female connection that wasn't connecting completely because the way the connection was hanging down. If he moved the connection up so the male/female connection was in line, the emergency brake would release without having to use the emergency release and all brake lights would function normally.

I tried to find that connection last night that he showed me a few weeks ago & couldn't find it. I don't want to drive without brake lights especially at night.

Has anyone run across this unique problem? If so, can you provide me with a picture of what the connection looks like that I need to fix? My friend was sure that if I zip tied the connection to lift it up a bit, that would fix the problem.

Thanks.

Archived