94 h22a swapped into 90 accord will only roll start.

lowpulse

Yes I have a 94 jdm h22a engine swapped into a 90 accord 2dr. I bought it with the swap already done so I've spent 2 years dealing with what I can only assume are electrical problems. Now I'm stuck.

Got into the car and pushed clutch in (with plenty of resistance; did not go straight to floor). Turned the key to start and only heard a click of the keys turning. Pushed the clutch down harder and it would start however that only happened to work 3 times and no more. I can roll start the car and it starts fine and runs good.

Electronics on dash stayed on but no crank, no start and no sound from starter or solenoid trying to turn.

I have checked the battery which was good

I have checked the starter but "jumping it" with a wrench and it turned but that's it car still wouldn't crank or turnover.

Starter/Main relay that was by clutch and kickpanel replaced that relay and no change.

Now the guy that did the swap basically tied the wires together around the starter, coolant temp relay etc and taped them with electrical tape so pretty lazy to say the least.

I have tied, cleaned, taped these wires twice since I got it 2 years ago. And it fixed an issue at the time but I'm lost on this not start problem.

Please any suggestions or questions please ask and all advice/suggestions is so appreciated.

Since I don't see a way to upload images I would be happy to email them if there isn't a way I haven't found on here.

Once you roll start it does it otherwise run and shift fine?

The clutch assembly has a lock out switch to prevent you from starting the car with it possibly being in gear, hence the clutch needs to be fully depressed to start most manual transmission vehicles. That switch can fail like anything else, OR your car had an auto to manual swap and the guy that did the previous work didn't get the switch alignment right. I would start by grabbing your meter and testing the switch to make sure it trips on and off like it should, make sure that it is properly adjusted so that when depressed with normal force trips it and as a last resort disconnect the wires and short it. If that fixes it please don't just leave the wires shorted. It's a pretty important safety feature so you don't accidentally run someone over.

• 1 month later...

I have looked under my dash and to the left of the clutch this is where what I believe to be the neutral safety switch in mine is located. The button moves in when the clutch is being pressed down and once it gets close to the floor board the button slides through a hole that looked like it was drilled into the part (if needed I'll post a pic of what it is.) However I never tried to start the car without the clutch pushed in and if I did it didn't start. But what meter do you mean for me to check.

The car shifts and drives fine once it is rollstarted.

Thanks!

Archived