Civic Wheel squealing and hard to spin.

I just bought a 2003 civic hybrid. The front wheel squeals when driving at all times. Its a very loud constant squeal. Im going to post a video of it on youtube and post the link.

I jacked up the car and removed the wheel to inspect the front axle area. I put it in neutral and tried to spin the axle buy the tire nuts. It was extremely tight, very hard to spin. The issue is really noticed when going from a dead to stop to a go. You can till it is sticking a little until you get it rolling. What could be the issue?

My guess is bad wheel bearing, damaged brake pad or a hanging caliper. Usually you can isolate these. When driving and you press the brake pedal solidly does the noise completely stop? If so the issue is brake pad or caliper. If the car noticeable drifts to the side that is making the noise it is likely the caliper hanging or the wheel bearing. With all three of these issues the sound will be speed sensitive. It should vary predictably in intensity as you go faster or slower.

So i tightened a few things in the suspension yesterday and lubed the ball joints. This morning the squealing was gone some how! However the wheel is still dragging. Its not spinning freely. So is it more likely to be a brake assembly issue or a bearings issue?

Does the car pull to the side when driving and does the pull to the side cease when you hit the brakes hard? Bad bearing and hung up caliper can cause it to pull to the side but if you hit the brakes both calipers would be making contact and the pull to the side should stop. If it's still pulling to the side I would check the wheel bearing first.

Archived