I recently replaced the steering knuckle on my 91 Accord LX on the passenger side because it's so much easier to replace the knuckle than the hub when the bearing went out. I got the knuckle from a junk yard. It was fairly new and had a new lower ball joint on it. I also replaced the upper control arm since the upper ball joint is fused with the upper control arm. The replacement steering knuckle came with a speed sensor hookup, i.e. the wire etc. My question is this:

Does the passenger side have a speed sensor or is it just the driver's side that has the speed sensor?

I have looked in manuals and such and they only explain the driver's side so I'm not sure what to do about that wire because there doesn't seem to be a hookup for it that I can find and I don't remember there being any wires hooked up on the passenger side. I was just going to clip the wire and dispose of it but I wanted to make sure first.

The wire on the Knuckle Hub Assembly is the ABS Wheel Sensor and it is not a speed sensor per say. I think back in '91 it would have been ALB not ABS...anyways, the sensor measures wheel spin. Since you don't have ABS, you can remove the wire.

Okay so the 91 Accord LX didn't have the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) but did have the standard Anti-Lock Brakes (ALB).

I know that the difference is that with ABS the CPU controls the brakes by sensing the difference between the speeds of the wheels e.g. if you were sliding. But with Standard ALB you would not have that.

So if the junk yard said the knuckle came from a 91 LX, and it has the sensor, does that mean that some of the 91 LX's came with ABS and some came with ALB? And I ended up with the later.

Also, how would I know if I had ABS instead of ALB? I know on the driver's side there is a silver box which has wires going to from various areas that I assumed was the Cruise Control system. Would there be anything else there to indicate ABS?

ABS and ALB are the same thing...Anti-lock Brake System = Anti Locking Brake system

It's just that back in the day everyone was scrambling to come up with their own name for it and hope theirs stuck. Domestics called it ABS, everyone else had another name. In the end, ABS stuck.

I'm sure your '91 LX does not have ABS ALB or any other name it goes by. Ignore the many control units inside the car, if you don't have an ABS pump with an ABS reservoir sitting right next to the fuse box with brake lines leading back to the Braking Master Cylinder then you don't have ABS even if you do have an ABS computer.

If my memory serves me, ABS didn't appear on US Accords until the 1992-93 refresh and then only on the EX. In 1990-91, only the US Honda to have ABS was the Preludes ALB.

Archived