2004 Honda Accord EX with high miles: should I buy it?

andybisnut

Hi everyone,

Let me preface this by saying I've never owned a Honda before (unless you count my lawnmower). I've always liked them though and am strongly considering getting one. Recently we went down to one car to save money, but it's driving me nuts not having my own set of wheels. So, I'm trying to pick up a second car on the cheap ($2-$3K). My requirements are: good gas mileage (30+ highway), roomy enough for a couple car seats, and reliability (relatively speaking for this price range).

On a local auction site, I've found a 2004 Accord EX, 5-speed manual, 2.4L. The photos of the car look good and the interior looks fine. The catch is it has 187,000 miles on it. The current price is at $2100 and appears to be holding steady. My question is: would this be a good car to buy for the price? I hear of Hondas getting to 300K miles with ease. The auction ends 3/6 so I've got a couple days left to decide. I'm thinking I wouldn't go over $3K bidding on this car.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

well that is actually pretty low miles, but it really depends on what kinda auction are we talking about, if the car was beaten on and not taken care of, id only consider it. but if its just a private seller kinda thing, id go for it,

Archived