Aftermarket Catalytic Converter for a 98 Civic EX

Sniblette

Hi,

I've got a 98 Civic EX with 185K on it and a week ago it threw a PO420 code. I'm looking at replacing it with a new car in the next year or two (unfortunately I'm not in a position to do it now) so I don't want to put a lot of money into it at this point. Especially since I just had a younger engine put in it last year. Obviously I need to have this fixed but I'm looking for the cheapest option since I'm not planning on having this car for another five years. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket catalytic converters for the Civic? It would be a significant savings for me to use one but I don't want to have to replace it in six months. Any thoughts or advice based on your own experiences? All help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Snib

Thanks for the response. I assume it's better to go with a direct fit converter than a universal, right? Also, from what I can gather online, Magnaflow seems to be the most recommended brand. Any other brands I should consider? Again, I don't need top of the line--just something to last me up to 2 years or 30K miles.

One final question. About a year ago I had the secondary O2 sensor replaced. If I go with an aftermarket cat, they should be able to put the sensor on it without any problems, right? I'd hate to have to buy another one.

Thanks again!

you don't seem to really know what is involved so for you, your best option is to just go to a muffler shop (don't a chain, they charge out the ass), i can get an full exhaust system for like 200 bucks. They will be able to hook you up for like 100 bucks... no need to get a new O2. just ask them to throw in a cat. they'll know what to do.

Archived