car will not run

importsown

i was pulling out the gas station and my car cut off on me i got the the side of the road and itr just will not stay running it had keep cutting off on me a few times. when u turn the ingintion to (on) no dash lights well light up no cheak engine or nothing when i hold the key over to the (start) i can then hear my fuel pump running all my lights come on (dash cheak engine all that good stuff) i go to push the clutch in and the engine wants to run but its just dies like 1 second after it its like i gotta hold the key to start the whole time but i cant do that or i well grind the hell out my stater u think i got a ignition problem here? should i start cheaking for spark i kno im getting fuel and air.or atleast i should be ... should i start at the spark plug wires and see if i get spark if i dont then to the distributor how do i test this? i have volt meter how can i cheak this? btw its a obd0 zc dohc engine looks pretty much stock other then the sparker plug wires and cold air intake. after i cheak all that where to next? starter? ignotion switch? fuses? how do i cheak the ignition switch????? first things first i kno i gotta start buy cheaking the fuses need some help here any advice well be very much appreciated thanks

jerry

91 honda crxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ok i got it working but i dont trust it ................ it looks like its a wiring problem i took the steering colum apart to take off my ignition switch i started to jiggy on the wires running to the switch and didnt rerally do anything. i did notice a big thick green or brown wire hard to see in the dark with poor cell phone lighting it was laying and bent across two wires from the back of the ignition switch i bent this brownb wire away from them and boom baby the switch kicked on and it started like a champ and stayed on i bent the wire back and nothing really happens i have to really try and make it go back to not working and cutting off . do you guys think it can be like a static wiring problem between these wires like cant the wires have some kinda interferance with each other? thanks

jerry

91 honda crx

i let the car idle for about an hour doing swtich cheaks every so 20 mins i guess then test drove it no turning off while driving i drove it nice and smooth then drove it harder then did 1 little peel out lol everything fine as i can tell

• 10 months later...

Dude those ignition switches are horrible about failing in the on position. They'll start and run but as soon as u let off the key and goes back to the on position it'll shut down. Next time it does it, and it will do it again hold the key between the start and the on position just before the starter engages and it should stay running until u let go. I've seen every model of late 80's-early 90's Honda/Acura have this same issue. It's a WAY common failure.

Well I guess if there were threads from this year I wouldn't have to reply to 2.5 year old shit. Most sites close threads that are no longer relevant but that wouldnt leave much content here.

We are pretty moderator free here so there isn't many around to close things. Besides, it gives us something to do when the new guy dredges up something from three years ago. :laugh:

Archived