Signs of a blown head gasket?

Kohen

I had a friend tell me he thinks I may have a blown head gasket.

Some symptoms:

Have had to fill my antifreeze overflow back up a couple times (motor overheating is a sign of blown head gasket (?))

Oil leakage, have had to put oil in. looks like oil is kind of leaking on the passenger side of the motor.

My motor did overheat one time cause my dad accidentally didn't put the radiator cap on all the way after filling my radiator and overflow up with antifreeze and the cap blew off while i was driving. blah blah blah, long story short my antifreeze ran really low and my radiator temperature gauge went to HOT.

My friend had also told me that if you experience a little bit of lag while driving that could be a sign of a blown head gasket. I feel like i do have a little bit of lag.

Thanks for reading and please give me any information you may have on this. Regarding whether these things sound correct, or adding to the symptoms of a blown head gasket.

It doesnt matter if the radiator got hot, did the motor. Are you seeing any smoke from the exhaust? What color is it?

well yes the motor got hot. no antifreeze running thru it! :p

dont believe there is any smoke coming from the exhaust.

i do smell oil though. i should have someone drive behind me and see if dark smoke is coming out my exhaust i'm guessing you're gonna say?

dark smoke = oil leak = possible blown head gasket?

change the oil and flush and fill the coolant.

Oil in coolant or coolant in oil = blown HG. You could also perform a compression test.

Blue smoke = oil

black smoke = rich

white smoke = water

flames =

nawz.gif

Sorry, had to do it.

change the oil and flush and fill the coolant.

Oil in coolant or coolant in oil = blown HG. You could also perform a compression test.

Blue smoke = oil

black smoke = rich

white smoke = water

flames =

nawz.gif

Sorry, had to do it.

thanks for the information!

and dont worry, i laughed :p

Like reading dates?

I was just going to say "Your questions are welcome and so are intelligent comments but stop replying to crap that is 3-6 months dead."

i've searched google for information and found my answer because someone did bring an old thread up.

if you guys are gonna freak out about a couple threads being pulled back up, i won't do it.. but i don't see how it's that big of a deal.

it can bring up discussion and more information for everyone.

nothing goes away on the internet. if the thread has been dead for 6 months and you do a google search it will still be in the same spot regardless of if you newly post in it or not. Most of your responses added nothing to the discussion so it brought it back up and re-emailed all the participants of new activity on something that was abandoned.

forum etiquette = stick to current topics. if you have questions about a previous thread or significant contributions to something left unresolved no one will give you grief. anything else just irritates people that have internet apathy and won't hesitate to set your computer display on fire as a means to pass the time.

Archived