Subs for 86 hatchback

Welemin91

I just recently came across an 86 Honda Civic CRX with stock speakers, well obviously they are going to sound terrible. I am replacing the speakers but I would also like to add some subs (or sub). But Im new to the whole "Sound system" and nobody I know has had a system in a hatchback. Any advice on size, how many, ported or sealed, direction, ect? Anything would help! Pictures once its in if you all would like.

well i drive a del sol but i know some one with a skinny truck box for one 10 sealed in a Toyota supra and it hits hard as hell when the car isnt run cuz of the exhaust

for a hatch back it dosent take alot to have alot of bass bc of were its so open. first you need to come up with what company you want to go with. me i like memphis, kenwood, jl. thats about it for me. but it was my can i would do 1 10in sub with about a 500-1000w amp to run it. but this also depends on what you want. if you want alot of bass go with 2 10s or 12s but i would stay away from 15s they sometimes sound like Sh!t

out of all of the subs i have had, the Rockford Fosgate Competition series puts down a LOT of bass for what it is. I don't like kenwood, they sound amazing for about a year then dye out, and their decks just suck.

It also really depends on what music you listen to, if its rock (or electric) with just quick short bursts of bass, you would probably want 10" or possible 8" subs, if its rap probably a single 12 would be great in your car.

out of all of the subs i have had, the Rockford Fosgate Competition series puts down a LOT of bass for what it is. I don't like kenwood, they sound amazing for about a year then dye out, and their decks just suck.

It also really depends on what music you listen to, if its rock (or electric) with just quick short bursts of bass, you would probably want 10" or possible 8" subs, if its rap probably a single 12 would be great in your car.

I listen to everything, rap, rock, electric, trance, ect. So you think a middle ground would be the best? A 10 maybe?

in my old hatch i used to roll a pair of ported 12's sounded like ASSS. In the sol however im running a very well tuned single 11" (yes i said 11"), and sounds PERFECT. I have nothing but great things to say about focal, look em up, they are quite a bit more expensive than the stuff you going to find at best buy, but ive been running that single 11, and a pair of component 6.5's up front an everyone who has sat in my car swears ive put atleast 2k into my system (150ish for box that i deisgned and fabbed myself and focal 27v1, 300 for 755rmsX6 amp bridged into 3 channels 100X2 & 555X1, deh-4200ub HU 120ish, and focal 165a1's up front 200ish) mind you i did EXTENSIVE sound deadening and insulation on my car as well (over 40 man hours)

whats your budget?

Whats your goals? . .. loud? sound quality? sql (loud but musical)

how much air space are you willing to sacrifice? small enclosure? medium? or can we load the hatch?

are you capable of building your own enclosure? or will you be buying a pre-fab?

whats your budget?

Whats your goals? . .. loud? sound quality? sql (loud but musical)

how much air space are you willing to sacrifice? small enclosure? medium? or can we load the hatch?

are you capable of building your own enclosure? or will you be buying a pre-fab?

I want somthing moderatly loud (but not too loud) But sounds amazing so i guess sql

I dont need the space really, Im not loading it up

I can build my own but id rather buy

Here is the best advice you will get

Stay away from Best Buy, and in most cases you end up paying a large mark up at local car audio shops.

You want some brands to shop out?

Skar Audio

Sundown Audio

Audioque

SSA audio (sound solutions)

DC Audio

Image Dynamics

Incriminator Audio

Sound Splinter

They may lack the big name, but i guarentee better value then any Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JL Audio, or any other saturated big name ticket item.

Also, you can get prefab enclosures, but nothing will sound better then just building enclosures specifically for your sub.

Half of the people seem to think that you get better SQ and "tighter" bass from sealed enclosres on here as well. Dont listen to that b.s. If you build the enclosure right, and go with any of the very reputable independant companies that i listed, it will far exceed your expectations in almost every category.

If you are interested in a particular sub, or brand, just post it up before hand and i can give you a little rundown as to where its good/bad/or what is to be expected of it.

check out the focal 27v2, they sound amazingly clear, in the right box I havent heard anything better. Granted at close to $600 a piece they arent exactly entry level, however if your looking at shooting the moon their 27kx is a damn fine piece at close to 1200. If you need to go a bit cheaper the 27v1 (what i run) is around 300, and still sounds damn nice in a ported enclosure.

I never once said buy from. I said test them out.

I never implied that you you said to buy from BB, but lets be honest, what subs are even worth listening too at best buy?

check out the focal 27v2, they sound amazingly clear, in the right box I havent heard anything better. Granted at close to $600 a piece they arent exactly entry level, however if your looking at shooting the moon their 27kx is a damn fine piece at close to 1200. If you need to go a bit cheaper the 27v1 (what i run) is around 300, and still sounds damn nice in a ported enclosure.

Or a single sundown SA 12, have the clarity of Focal, the ability to hit 150+ if you wanted to go there, while staying under 2 cubes and under 200.00 8)

ive listened to the SA12, while it is a good sub the sound quality is a bit lower than the focal 27v1 (granted still much better than the "good" main producer's line ups aka alpine, sony, pioneer, jbl, jl etc) however it does have a higher spl output than the focal. However the 1.75 ft box is a bit big for me (sol) and i much prefer my 1.5ft box, soon to be building an extended shoe box soon to fit better and vent via the RQP vents. The SSA's however are VERY nice (the 1ohm 8") and they hit VERY hard, but they require a VERY well designed box to unlock their potential.

My best advice is to goto a local car toys or other "audio" shop and listen to their demonstation set ups, I know the one by me has 3 different rooms, low end (sub $100 models) mid to high range ($100-$1k) and exotics ($1k+). Listen to what they have, make notes, then shop online (i usualy find the best deals through sonicelectronix), as far as headunits and speakers i will usualy research through crutchfield, then shop on sonic or ebay (just remeber if the price is REALLY good its probably a knock off.

Just remeber SPL does not equal SQ, if you like to "listen" to your music pay more attention to the sq, however if you like to "feel" your bass lines lean more towards SPL. Also box design and construction often dicatates how good your sub will sound (it can make an awesome 2k+ sub sound like walmart ching chong crap, or make a cheap sub sound better). And dont forget to apply sound deadener (either mat, spray on, or polyfill, or better yet a mixture of all 3) to your panels to keep your car from sounding like a ford fiesta with 4 fat bitches in it.

ive listened to the SA12, while it is a good sub the sound quality is a bit lower than the focal 27v1 (granted still much better than the "good" main producer's line ups aka alpine, sony, pioneer, jbl, jl etc) however it does have a higher spl output than the focal. However the 1.75 ft box is a bit big for me (sol) and i much prefer my 1.5ft box, soon to be building an extended shoe box soon to fit better and vent via the RQP vents. The SSA's however are VERY nice (the 1ohm 8") and they hit VERY hard, but they require a VERY well designed box to unlock their potential.

IMO while the Focal does sound crisp and clear, it just dont have the output that i look for, or the output for most of your typical street beaters. 6mm xmax and limited to a 4ohm VC configuration just doesnt do it for me.

and honestly, I think the SQ of he SA 12 beats your focal any day. . . not to take anything away from your sub . .. it sounds great and requires little power to do it, but . . . . . . BL^2 is just a much superior technology then the old school method of small gap and bumped back plates that the focals use. And with the uber low FS, the SA12 can get down on some lows while BL^2 keeps the curve nice and flat.

And, the SA12 works well in 1.0 cu^ft sealed if space is the issue, but even with 1.75 cu^ft enclosures, (that is not hard to build either) in the back of a hatchback!!!!!!

i dont think its going to take too much away from his trunk/hatch space.

just sayin

• 1 month later...

I want somthing moderatly loud (but not too loud) But sounds amazing so i guess sql

I dont need the space really, Im not loading it up

I can build my own but id rather buy

BUY a box don't build one i have seen way to many ppl mess up on the specs the sub needs for it to sound nice. Buy an

(Obcon box ported! 12" type R Buy a 500-600watt rms amp at 2ohms) can always turn the gain(power) down. i would sugest after you buy your system take it to a car audio place and have them tune your amp to what your subs specs are.

12" subs hit lows better and 10" get the highs better.

this is how i see it 10" = head ache 12" = perect 15" = your car is going to fall apart.

I own a 12" Type R and all my friends tell me it sounds better then my friends 2 10" subs. i recommend the Type R.

BUY a box don't build one i have seen way to many ppl mess up on the specs the sub needs for it to sound nice. Buy an

(Obcon box ported! 12" type R Buy a 500-600watt rms amp at 2ohms) can always turn the gain(power) down. i would sugest after you buy your system take it to a car audio place and have them tune your amp to what your subs specs are.

12" subs hit lows better and 10" get the highs better.

this is how i see it 10" = head ache 12" = perect 15" = your car is going to fall apart.

I own a 12" Type R and all my friends tell me it sounds better then my friends 2 10" subs. i recommend the Type R.

this post really is just all kinds of fail

Im not going to sit here and pick what this guy said apart, it will be degrading. But anyone who views this thread, take the better advice and ignore his entire statement.

carry on then. . .

this post really is just all kinds of fail

Im not going to sit here and pick what this guy said apart, it will be degrading. But anyone who views this thread, take the better advice and ignore his entire statement.

carry on then. . .

Not everyone is pro at making a box. A lot of people say oh i can save 50-100$ if i just make it. Then i watch them build a box that is completely done wrong and not ported correctly and then the subs sound like crap but are powered perfect...

My personal opinion is that a 12" is perfect because it hits the lows and highs amazing 10" is alright but i like more of the low bass so i prefer 12"+ subs it makes the music a little more enjoyable a 10" just doesn't cut it for the lows for me. with my 12" type r its like a constant back massage because of how nicely it hits the lows.

and when i give my opinion you don't have to comment on it. everyone likes a different sound and idk 10" subs just give me a headache and iv seen a friends car fall apart from a 15".

why do you say ignore my entire statement going to an audio shop to get your amp tuned properly is a good idea for people who probably don't know crap about subs just want it for the bass. Don't assume everyone you talk to knows how to build a box or tune an amp.

Not everyone is pro at making a box. A lot of people say oh i can save 50-100$ if i just make it. Then i watch them build a box that is completely done wrong and not ported correctly and then the subs sound like crap but are powered perfect...

you dont have to be a 'pro' to make a box. Im not a pro and i have been building hem since i was 12 years old lol. You get measurements, you cut them out, and then you screw and glue the wood together. Its nothing you have to be afraid of doing.

we will look at it this way.

Advantages of building a box yourself -

You can custom tune them

Custom fit them

Build the box to TS spec

Rip it out, trash it and start over if you dont like the results

Cons of buying prefab -

They cost an arm and a leg where as building it yourself only costs you a sheet of wood, glue, and screws.

They are not to TS spec in most cases, your often just trying to adapt a box to fit a sub

Very few cases where prefab boxes are the way to go, and very few companies are even worth a crap. Kaotic for example makes very nice boxes, but you submit the measurements to them, its all hand built, and is still expensive

My personal opinion is that a 12" is perfect because it hits the lows and highs amazing 10" is alright but i like more of the low bass so i prefer 12"+ subs it makes the music a little more enjoyable a 10" just doesn't cut it for the lows for me. with my 12" type r its like a constant back massage because of how nicely it hits the lows.

and when i give my opinion you don't have to comment on it. everyone likes a different sound and idk 10" subs just give me a headache and iv seen a friends car fall apart from a 15".

first off . . there are 10 inch subs out there that can hit the 20hz ranges.

There are no subs that hit "highs" thats what tweeters do, perhaps you mean to say higher end of the low range spectrum? I dunno. ..

the way a sub performs is all relative to the enclosure. has less to do with what size sub you are using. You can tune a 10" type R to hit the same low end freq. then even the 15" Type R. The only reason a 12 or 15 is louder is because it has more surface area thus moving more air. But consider this. You can install 1 x 12" and I can Install 2 x 10" and be louder then you. . .

And as far as speakers tearing peoples cars up..... its pretty much a shytbox you own if a speaker is busting it apart. Ive had a CRX with 8k watts and 4 15's to my last system which consisted of 4 18"s in my suburban and not once did my cars fall apart lol

why do you say ignore my entire statement going to an audio shop to get your amp tuned properly is a good idea for people who probably don't know crap about subs just want it for the bass. Don't assume everyone you talk to knows how to build a box or tune an amp.

If you are competing, yea, go get your amp tuned and dialed in.

But on here, i seriously doubt that anybody is competing. I posted up instructions a long while back how to tune your amp using a simple DMM. Its another thing that is just not hard to do, and if someone is so retarded they cant get on the internet and look up "help tuning amp" then they probably shouldn't own a stereo in the first place. . . . or be driving for that matter

Archived