12 replies to this topic

#1 SebSol

SebSol

I'm your mom's bit on the side.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hey guys...

I got the JL Stealthbox in my sol, and it seems its got a bit of a flatulence problem! When the bass goes pretty low down, the sub farts like hell. I think it's only the sub on the left hand side, you guys think this sub has reached the end of its life? It seems to be ok n pretty powerful apart from when the audio frequency goes down below a certain level, I don't think I've got it turned up too high, well it shouldn't be anyway cos the amp can go a load higher, and the stealthbox should be able to handle some decent bass.

Its just pissing me off at the mo, cos I listen to drum n bass, it does it like all the time! :(.

Time for a new one? If so, i dunno if I ought to replace it with the same sub, or see if I can get a more powerful sub to put in the box. shame is it's only an 8 inch sub.

#2 Xeryon

Xeryon

As usual, slacking off instead of working...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts
  • Vehicles:Any car with wheels and, occasionaly, some without.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

just wire in a resistor to limit the lowest frequency's that kill it and ride with one full function sub and one that's limited until it pops. Won't sound like ass and will cost you $0.25 to keep it alive for another year or more.

#3 SebSol

SebSol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

Fair enough, cheers man, I'll give that a try. So i just put it on the speaker cable to that sub yeah?

#4 Xeryon

Xeryon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

you can, any electronics hobby shop will sell them, as will any place that sells quality audio gear. you just need a real low frequency filter. a clip on audio one might be a few bucks, just a straight resistor is cheaper but you need to know what to look for.

#5 Ben.

Ben.

Y U NO LET ME SODOMIZE U?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,910 posts
  • Vehicles:'95 240sx

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

That's not your sub farting -- it's that girl you drugged last week trying to get out of the trunk.

Seriously. LET HER OUT BEFORE SHE DIES AND DOES SHAT IN YOUR TRUNK.

#6 SebSol

SebSol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

SH*T. Thanks for reminding me ben. I'll let her out in a bit.

#7 CBRF4i

CBRF4i

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Vehicles:2006 Honda F4i

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

resistor on the sub :dry: . . . how about no

first off, if you want to determine if the coils are going bad on the sub, just hook it up to a DMM and read the ohms. if they are say. . 4 om subs, you should see 3.6-3.8 ohms on the display (typically)

Does your amp have a subsonic filter? check your levels, if its a sealed box, might want to set it up higher to the 40-50hz range and see if it goes away

#8 Xeryon

Xeryon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

resistor on the sub :dry: . . . how about no

first off, if you want to determine if the coils are going bad on the sub, just hook it up to a DMM and read the ohms. if they are say. . 4 om subs, you should see 3.6-3.8 ohms on the display (typically)

Does your amp have a subsonic filter? check your levels, if its a sealed box, might want to set it up higher to the 40-50hz range and see if it goes away

You do realize that adjusting the filter on the amp is EXACTLY the same thing as installing a line filter?

#9 CBRF4i

CBRF4i

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

You do realize that adjusting the filter on the amp is EXACTLY the same thing as installing a line filter?

No, it really dont work the same way. When you adjust subsonic filters you are not raising and lowering resistance. You are simply activating a switch that cuts off certain octal levels.

you are not going to find a resistor that can handle that kind of current either. Its fine for mids and highs w/ no crossover, but your only seeing .5 - 8 volts on a typical mid amp/head unit vs 28 volts + on a class D or class a/b amp

he can go to radio shack and grab up some resistors, but i wan to see videos of what burned up 2 minutes later

#10 Xeryon

Xeryon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

I was going to write a witty response to this but failed miserably to come up with anything worth the effort to type.

I used various resistors to limit the frequencies to my system once upon a time, but indeed my system was a lower power setup and I experienced no issues. Certainly, I could see how a high power setup it wouldn't work.

#11 CBRF4i

CBRF4i

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

I was going to write a witty response to this but failed miserably to come up with anything worth the effort to type.

I used various resistors to limit the frequencies to my system once upon a time, but indeed my system was a lower power setup and I experienced no issues. Certainly, I could see how a high power setup it wouldn't work.

my point is not to come off cocky or try to make you look like a jerk off or anything,.. dont get me wrong

my only point is that if you use a resistor (anything less then the size of a soda can) its going to fry as soon as you start passing that 30 volts worth of current through it.

based on the fact in a DC circuit, 1 volt across a 1 Ohm resistor will cause 1 amp of current to pass through the resistor, at 1 Watt of power.

apply that to what you would need for a subwoofer and you can draw your own conclusions

Edited by CBRF4i, 22 December 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#12 SebSol

SebSol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

thanks for the advice guys :). no need to fight about it! though CBRF4i I'm glad you stepped in on the conversation there, just incase it would of fried my amp.

The amp has got a filter on it... its one of these http://caraudiosecur...gleproduct.html

I'll have a fiddle around with it later to see what happens :D.

#13 Xeryon

Xeryon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

It wouldn't have fried an amp, just the in-line filter