no spark

scarecrow0529

i have an 89 crx that started sputtering out on the interstate doing 65mph, it acted like it was running out of gas

. when i took my foot of the accelerator to take an exit it died. i turned the key and all i heard was the starter spinning. i towed it home checked the battery (good), checked the timing belt (loose, but not broken), pulled the plugs and checked for spark (no spark). any suggestions could it be the ignition coil, dont have a lot of money to nickel and dime it, so i want to start with the most likely culprit. thanks.

if the belt is loose it would be possible that it skipped one or more teeth.

many parts shops can test your coil for free and you can test your distributor with a multimeter and your haynes/helms

The interior of the distributor rotates and uses what I believe is a multiple ball-bearing assembly to facilitate it's rotation. After a while the assembly wears out for whatever reasons and the dust you find is likely metal shavings from the assembly still rotating, albeit with increased friction and wear.

Depending on the condition of the assembly you may want to try replacing the rotor itself, but if the wear was bad enough the inside of the distributor housing may be damaged and you might just want to replace the whole thing.

you try to hit the starter with a hammer a couple times (like tap not full out hit) and see if itll work.. sometimes it'll make a bad starter work a couple times lol

if it does you know its the problem! and if it doesnt work.. probably still the problem lol

ugh you sure your starter/flywheel are good?

went to junk yard and got a starter, brought it home tested it and it worked so i installed it and cranked and still the timing belt doesnt move. on the final crank it started sparking and i lost all power, got out to see where this was happening my negative battery cable was no longer connected to the clamp, it burnt through the exposed part of the wire. it needed to be changed anyway. gonna put a new negative cable on and probably a new engine ground cuz that is looking pretty corroded.

changed the battery cable and found out wires were crossed on the starter so i adjusted it and now it doesnt spark. cranked the engine and saw the timing belt twitch a little upon further inspection, i believe the belt is too loose, because the crank is just spinning on the belt. i am gonna replace the belt and see if that is problem. that is probably why it is throwing a code 8.

umm... if you can see the crank spin and the time belt doesn't you most likely have a broken belt... last time i broke a tbelt it flew in the air... cuz it will almost always catch on the crank... hopefully you didn't screw up the head when you kept trying to crank it over.

ok new timing belt on, turned the key fired right up and sounded pretty good maybe a little hesitation but when i took off first gear was good but went into second gear and it started hesitating really bad plus my gauge cluster went all screwy. (tach., gas, temp., and spedo. ) ecu still throwing code 20. i am thinking i might of blew something when the starter had a wire start sparking and blew off my neg. battery cable. idk lookin for ideas. thanks for the help so far.

ok new timing belt on, turned the key fired right up and sounded pretty good maybe a little hesitation but when i took off first gear was good but went into second gear and it started hesitating really bad plus my gauge cluster went all screwy. (tach., gas, temp., and spedo. ) ecu still throwing code 20. i am thinking i might of blew something when the starter had a wire start sparking and blew off my neg. battery cable. idk lookin for ideas. thanks for the help so far.

it was the ground wire(the one that goes from the valve cover to the front frame). replaced it now it runs fine no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You are one lucky sob cause dude you shoulda bent valves and maybe even put a hole in a piston or two. Still could be some damage. The timing belt broke on mine, I replaced it and it ran fine for about 2 weeks until one of the bent valves broke off and busted a hole in the number 2 piston. How it ran I don't know but not only did it run but it ran good and sounded good. It did smoke a little but ran good, until that valve broke off.

Archived