Help for a CRX

Brm1991

Okay, so I am getting this CRX off of a guy for 300 bucks in a week, he said it needed a new carburetor and it would be running fine, I already have a 98 eclipse, I just wanted something fun to work on and a lot of people say Honda's are great for tuning, so I figured what the hell, ill just go for it. But what I was wondering is, I have no technical logic as far "Under the hood" goes. I want the CRX to move pretty quick, So does it really matter what kind of Carburetor I get or are there certain ones that can help, also what would be the best engine swap I could do for around $600 I don't want to spend too much money on the car with schooling and all, also the best turbo for it. I don't know what year it is, it sort of looks like an 88'. So please everyone give me some tips on how to make this baby fly :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh also I just found out today it is either an 89 or 90 CRX Si I have searched all over the net, and what are the stock hp for both years? The owner said he has never done anything to it, and was wondering how fast it could go stock?

:thumbsup:

you have NOT searched all over the net otherwise you would know to find out what motor is in it then go look up the spec for the motor

wiki is quite helpful with this

wow you are a fiesty lil one aren't ya! too much octane in your veins? :devil::happy: yea look it up man , or you can go and look on the engine and get the engine code and look it up like that...its up to you good luck!

Okay, first off.

If it's carbureted, it's a first gen crx, and it's NOT an SI. The first gen SI's are fuel injected, just like any other honda with an SI badge.

Second, the motor in the SI's are EW3's or EW4's, they're 1.5L 91 hp/93 ft lbs torque motors.

Third, if you want to do a swap, be prepared to pay $400 in just the mount kit alone if you can't make your own mounting kit somehow. These chassis are actually pretty difficult to play with, because parts are usually very hard to find for them. If you want an easy motor swap, the only better motor you can swap is one from a first gen integra, those pretty much bolt up, and the wiring harness in the CRX works perfect for it, everything is practically plug and play.

Fourth, for suspension, the first gen CRX uses a torsion beam suspension, so you can't just stick springs in the car to lower it.

Fifth, if you want to turbo the EW motor, you're going to have to have your own exhaust manifold custom fabricated, as the only shops to sell them discontinued them YEARS ago. If you find one online on some forum or ebay, more power to you.

If you're getting a second gen, hell to the frack yeah, you're a winner. If you get a first gen, hope you don't mind getting your hands dirty and working hard.

Bad ass thing about these cars, the first gen HF's weigh like 1700 lbs and get 40-50 mpg, the SI's weigh about 1950 lbs with a full tank of gas, and the SI's are faster than a new CR-Z in every aspect. The good thing about the EW4's is that they're iron blocks, too. So they'll take a hell of a lot of abuse. Get a compression test done on the car, if it comes back good, turbo build would be a lot of fun.

My source of information: I own an 87 CRX SI.

PS: Stock 0-60 is somewhere around 8.1 seconds and the 1/4 is believe is mid-low 16's. Just remember, this was back then they first came out. When the motors were new. I highly doubt that the motor in there is as strong as it was 23 years ago.

Easiest thing to start off with on the car is probably a good tune up and start taking crap out you don't need. Weight reduction is the best bang for the buck mod you can do. :)

Because this is a forum where people come for help, not to be redirected to another forum and told to find out for themselves. :p.

Don't worry, I'm only here because I'm stuck at work for 10 hours with nothing but my laptop to keep me company, and my friends aren't too active at 5 am.... oh and there are only so many parts for 1st gen CRX's to look up to kill time.

ya, really no reason to put him down because he answered his question.

if the same questions 50 times are getting on your nerves just do as I do, ignore the post. there are quite a few people on here that don't mind the chance to be the first to answer questions. all i do if it comes up again later is go back and skim it to make sure the responder hasn't completely missed something.

Oh also I just found out today it is either an 89 or 90 CRX Si I have searched all over the net, and what are the stock hp for both years? The owner said he has never done anything to it, and was wondering how fast it could go stock?

How often do you find people asking about carbureted CRX's? O.o

D15B6

• Found in:
    • 1988-1991 Honda Crx HF
      • Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Bore and Stroke : 75 × 84.5 mm (3.0 × 3.33 in)
      • Compression : 9.1:1
      • Power :
      • ['88-'89] 62 bhp (46.23 kW, 62.86 ps) @ 4400 rpm
      • ['90-'91] 72 bhp (53.7 kW, 73.0 ps) @ 4500 rpm
      • Torque : 83 ft·lbf (11.5 kg/m, 113 Nm) @ 2200 rpm
      • Valvetrain : 8-Valve SOHC
      • Fuel Control : OBD-0 MPFI
      • Head Code : PM-8

his is fuel injected

and can be found on wiki in about 5 seconds

I get annoyed at how slack honda owners are.. ive put hours and hours of research into supras before i even bought one.. cant see why people cant take 5 min to google something simple

Well since he mentioned anything about a carb, I figured he'd want to know info about both generations. Info for the first gen is a bit harder to come by, so I gave him that. I'm still assuming that it's not actually an 89 or 90, and that it's actually a 84-87 non SI if the motor needs a new carburetor.

Because people need quick answers. Instant gratification overpowers all other desires.

As you stated, you put hours and hours into your research. You value knowledge about all aspects of your car, other people just want to know exactly as much as they need to know to be dangerous and off they go.

those are also the people that leave half finished project cars all over CL that lifetime enthusiasts get to pick up on the cheap.

As you stated, you put hours and hours into your research. You value knowledge about all aspects of your car, other people just want to know exactly as much as they need to know to be dangerous and off they go.

cant argue with that lol

which is why they shouldnt own cars and should be restricted to mopeds

this is my first forum post ever, and im comin to the forums cuz im having a crazy problem with my CRX, to start off its a 87 CRX Si 5speed, and it has 330,000 miles on it stock engine, and ive drivin it the last year, and im real hard on it, i almost redline every gear like everyday, but it ran great , i always took care of it, always givin it oil changes regulaly and tune ups and stuff, but i recently drove it 1800 miles strait despite the high miles cuz it ran so good an it made it just great with awesme gas milage, so i parked it then slept , got up in the am and turn my car on and went to leave and its running like crap, im getting like no acceleration and its louder than normal and its not just a hole in my exaust or something, so i, give it a tune up an oil change and stuff cuz my uncle told me to andabsolutly no change to how it runs, so im 1800 miles from home and my car runs like crap, so i keep my faith in my lil beast and decide to drive it home anyway, even tho it takes me like 3 minuts to get up to 70mph lol, so about 400 miles into the trip back on the interstate it just starts running awesome again, so i play with it a lil to see if its fixed an it seems to be so i drive it at over 100mph the rest of the way pretty much, it makes it home just fine, then i turn it back on and its now running worse, so im driving it around now and sometimes it will run great and sometimes it runs like crap, it always turns on and once its warmed up and its running good, if it starts running like crap again, i can turn the car off while in motion put the clutch in, and pop the clutch in 4th gear to start it again and it will run awesome again for a while untill i get on the throttle real hard.......ive gone thru many people to try to figure out my issue, ANYONE OUT THEIR HAVE ANY IDEA WHATS MY ENGINE ISSUE???????

this is my first forum post ever, and im comin to the forums cuz im having a crazy problem with my CRX, to start off its a 87 CRX Si 5speed, and it has 330,000 miles on it stock engine, and ive drivin it the last year, and im real hard on it, i almost redline every gear like everyday, but it ran great , i always took care of it, always givin it oil changes regulaly and tune ups and stuff, but i recently drove it 1800 miles strait despite the high miles cuz it ran so good an it made it just great with awesme gas milage, so i parked it then slept , got up in the am and turn my car on and went to leave and its running like crap, im getting like no acceleration and its louder than normal and its not just a hole in my exaust or something, so i, give it a tune up an oil change and stuff cuz my uncle told me to andabsolutly no change to how it runs, so im 1800 miles from home and my car runs like crap, so i keep my faith in my lil beast and decide to drive it home anyway, even tho it takes me like 3 minuts to get up to 70mph lol, so about 400 miles into the trip back on the interstate it just starts running awesome again, so i play with it a lil to see if its fixed an it seems to be so i drive it at over 100mph the rest of the way pretty much, it makes it home just fine, then i turn it back on and its now running worse, so im driving it around now and sometimes it will run great and sometimes it runs like crap, it always turns on and once its warmed up and its running good, if it starts running like crap again, i can turn the car off while in motion put the clutch in, and pop the clutch in 4th gear to start it again and it will run awesome again for a while untill i get on the throttle real hard.......ive gone thru many people to try to figure out my issue, ANYONE OUT THEIR HAVE ANY IDEA WHATS MY ENGINE ISSUE???????

are you serious

are you serious

im extreamly serious , i have a exzact model for parts that runs so i have all the parts i would need but i dont kno whats wrong, and really, who would type out all that an not be serious lol?

i said mopeds cause hopefully they would try to make those faster too

and then wreck

Hey don't be like that! lol. I've helped build a '79 motobecane 50v moped with a 50cc engine and got it to do 49mph. Radar confirmed...and we got 57mph out of a 70cc(just gets there A LOT faster) Cop radar confirmed when pulled over one night.

Archived