If vtec is not working or engaging

I made this post on d-series cause for some reason it seemed to be coming up alot.. since we dont have a thing like it here I coped it! So sticky now ?

Do these before posting a question about vtec not working:

1) Make sure your driving it.. it won’t crossover in neutral

2) Make sure oil level and oil pressure are good

3) Make sure car is at normal operating temperature

4) Make sure there is no check engine light

5) Make sure your speedo is working

5) Make sure wires/plugs are tight or wired correctly

6) Make sure vtec solenoid is clean

7) Make sure you have a vtec enabled ecu

8 ) Make sure you actually have a vtec engine

If you can not HEAR it clearly that does not mean it is not working. Get a test light and check it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

does have to be a specific check engine light or will all effect it also dumb question but can you have a vtec engine and a non vtec ecu that doesnt seem like itll work properly

does have to be a specific check engine light or will all effect it also dumb question but can you have a vtec engine and a non vtec ecu that doesnt seem like itll work properly

any check engine light (CEL) will cause vtec to not engage

you must have a vtec engine and vtec ecu for vtec to engage. if you have a non-vtec bottom end and a vtec top end you must have the correct ECU for vtec to engage.

hope that answers your questions

it does now what will happen if it does not engage will it hurt the engine and the engine in the car is original so i doubt that there is a descrepancy with the ecu and engine tho funnier things have happened also the check engine light is for an egr prob and i have no catalytic converter the fuel prob is easily fixed but what about the cat will keep from engaging as well

move if this is not the right section

• 1 year later...

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE , I HAVE A HONDA CIVIC WITH A D16Y8 SOHC VTEC, I HAVE A P2E-A01 AND P2P-A34 ECU, RIGHT NOW THE P2E IS IN THE CAR AND RUNS FINE. i BEEN READING THOE THAT THE P2E IS NOT VTEC. THAT THE OTHER ECU IS, WELL WHEN I PUT THE OTHER ECU IN THE CAR IS RUNS LIKE CRAP, SO WHICH ONE IS VTEC AND WHICH ONE GOES IN THE CAR ? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, SO I CAN SELL THE OTHER ECU..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...