1996 Honda Odyssey seal problem

I've replaced multiple seals on my 1996 Odyssey and it still continues to leak oil. Is this a common problem for this year/model. Can it ever be fixed? I'm reluctant to spend more on it at this age, especially if it continues to be a problem. I've gone to both a dealer and a private garage but the problem continues.

There are several places they leak. When the last t-belt was done check to see if they replace the balancer seal (and that the seal retainer recall bracket was installed), the cam seal and crank seal was replaced. Other then that once in a while I have seen the seal for the balancer shaft gear box leak. That takes care of potential leaks on the t-belt end of the engine. As far as the other side of the engine, if the oil is coming out of the drip hole on the bottom where the transmission bell housing bolts on then the rear main seal would be the cause.

As far as other leak the oil pressure switch (a.k.a. sending unit) located above the oil filter is a very common leak source (part runs about 15$ at the dealer). Then there are the other potential sources, oil pan seal, valve cover seal and the distributor seal (o-ring).

I would be inclined to say that these engines are not "common" to oil leaks (others will argue). Most leaks are easy to find, it is a matter of how busy the shop is that you have gone too and how much time they wish to invest in finding the problem. If by chance you live in southern NH or eastern/northern MA you can let me know as I can recommend a good place to have your vehicle looked at.

If you want expensive to fix and common to leak cars try getting an Audi S4.

There are several places they leak. When the last t-belt was done check to see if they replace the balancer seal (and that the seal retainer recall bracket was installed), the cam seal and crank seal was replaced. Other then that once in a while I have seen the seal for the balancer shaft gear box leak. That takes care of potential leaks on the t-belt end of the engine. As far as the other side of the engine, if the oil is coming out of the drip hole on the bottom where the transmission bell housing bolts on then the rear main seal would be the cause.

As far as other leak the oil pressure switch (a.k.a. sending unit) located above the oil filter is a very common leak source (part runs about 15$ at the dealer). Then there are the other potential sources, oil pan seal, valve cover seal and the distributor seal (o-ring).

I would be inclined to say that these engines are not "common" to oil leaks (others will argue). Most leaks are easy to find, it is a matter of how busy the shop is that you have gone too and how much time they wish to invest in finding the problem. If by chance you live in southern NH or eastern/northern MA you can let me know as I can recommend a good place to have your vehicle looked at.

If you want expensive to fix and common to leak cars try getting an Audi S4.

Cam, did you look around the motor to see exactly where it was leaking from ? intake,rear main,oil plug ?

Archived