New Feature: "Shoutbox"

Drew

Shoutbox  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Add Shoutbox to Front Page

• Display the Shoutbox on the front page with the option to individually hide it per member?
    • Do not display the shoutbox on the frontpage. The page has too much on it already.
  2. 2. If added to the Frontpage should it be at the top or bottom?

• Top of site
    • Bottom of site
    • I just voted above to not have it on the front page. (Duh)

im kind of split on the decision.. i think there should be one b/c it would be kind of cool, and at the bottom of the page but i dont think there should be a shoutbox because it would take ALOT away from the posts on the forum and make the forum more dead

just my $0.02

i think if you made it like the one on facebook. where the tab is at the bottom and it just pops up. that way you could still browse the forum with the shoutbox open

I know they had it at the bottom on that sol forum...hmm...But I guess if it were at the top it would be used more. But then a drawback of having it at the top would be that if it got filled with crap, it might be a bit putting off to new users possibly (or something along those lines). I'd wait to see what some other users think, when they all wake up lol.

Yeah, i'd be afraid it might scare new users away if It were right there at the top. Although I can hide it from "non members" so any guests visiting who aren't registered/logged in wouldn't see it. I think I'll try putting it at the bottom somewhere if I can figure it out.

im kind of split on the decision.. i think there should be one b/c it would be kind of cool, and at the bottom of the page but i dont think there should be a shoutbox because it would take ALOT away from the posts on the forum and make the forum more dead

The idea is to help reduce threads going off-topic and other useless threads. I think people who want their posts to be more permanent will still post threads and others who want to quick chat will post in the shoutbox or do both.

ok, the inactivity log out sucks already

Currently it's at 10 minutes but I can increase it. it's to help reduce load on the server. So when people leave the shoutbox open and step away from their computer for hours or a day, it doesn't constantly update forever. Maybe I'll set it at 20 or 30 minutes.

someone should change my name to FUKNREX

A simple PM would suffice and I'd be happy to change your member name, but I'm not changing it to that. :pirate:

The time delay between posts is too long.

I assume you are referring to the flood control where you can only submit a shout every 10 seconds. I can change that if you like. However, are we creating a shoutbox to post shouts or a chat room to chat? I'll let you guys decide.

i think if you made it like the one on facebook. where the tab is at the bottom and it just pops up. that way you could still browse the forum with the shoutbox open

I didn't design the shoutbox, it was written by developers and it's actually a pretty nice one. I wouldn't know the first thing about programming a different design so you could popup a chat like window on the bottom like facebook has. Maybe I'll submit it as a feature request to the developers. :thumbsup:

---------------------------

Thanks for the feedback everybody, keep it coming.

Drew, you know people here. Or at least the other mods can tell you about people here. The shoutbox is going to end up being used as a chat room unless you sponser an IRC channel or something similar.

Changing the inactivity timer to 20 minutes and the flood control timer to 5 seconds would be nice if you will allow us to use it more as a chat. If you strictly want it to be a shout out only then leave the timers where they were.

Flood control = 5 seconds (Must wait this long between shouts)

Shout refresh rate = 15 seconds (if you sit and stare it updates shouts this often)

Members viewing refresh rate = 30 seconds (updates the members viewing this often)

Inactivity cutoff = 30 minutes (Going idle will log you out of the shoutbox after this long)

We could just rename "shoutbox" to "chat room" and call it a day.

I'll put it up on the front page at the top so you can all see what it looks like.

Forgot to mention, BB code is currently disabled.

Sure it's nice to post fancy colored txt and links to other sites, but when somebody posts a giant picture in there, it completely ruins it.

Also, enabled editing of your own shouts.

someone should change my name to FUKNREX

Why, you'll just buy a new car in a few months anyways.

About the shout box...I voted no. I've yet to see one implemented in a way that didn't make the forums pretty much unusable. You think forum spamming is a problem, just wait until the practical application of the shout box.

nice job on the ol shoutbox drew. is it possible to make the new post on the bottom instead of the top like on AIM and every other chat?

Thanks,

On the shoutbox page, I have new posts at the bottom and on all the other pages, at the top. I'll make them both the same. New posts on the bottom.

A simple PM would suffice and I'd be happy to change your member name, but I'm not changing it to that.:pirate:

it wont let me pm you its saying the ips is disabled?...whats wrong with FUKNREX?

hey drew is there any way you can make it where visitors cant see where it says at the top NEW FEATURE: SHOUTBOX.. that way they dont just join to bullshat on the SB

and i kind of think there should be a minimum post requirement to use the SB if that would be possible.. but im just thinking off the top of my head.. probally not a great idea..

Archived