How can you tell if a GSR motor is OBD1 or 2?

EFHatchTuner

Basicaly what the title says. I have a hatch that had a gsr swapped in already when I bought it and I just want to know how you can tell which OBD the motor is. Im hoping its not 2. The head says "P72-2" so im guessing its OBD2 but I have an ls head off of a DA that says "PR4-5" so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

My gsr motor has a vin plate at the bottom front of the block. Decode the vin and find out what year it is. 94-95 = obd1, 96-01 = obd2. And there's obd2a and obd2b. I think it splits from 99-00. Or was it 98-99? Also the distributor will have a different number of plugs. At least that's how it is on LS dizzy's. obd1 has 2 plugs and obd2 has 1 plug. Also I think the injectors have a little piece of plastic around them and they are different colors depending on it's obd status.

The plugs going into the ecu is a giveaway too, unless it has a jumper harness.

I'm sure there are numerous other ways to tell, but that's all that comes to mind.

edit: wait, I retract that statement about the ecu plugs. That only tells you which ecu you have. I ran an obd1 P72 in my eg hatch with an obd2 (1997) GSR swap no problem. Just had to wire up the knock sensor, iabs, vtec solenoid. and vtec pressure switch thingy.

Awesome. That should help. The dizzy has one plug so it must be obd2. The ecu work was done very nicely if it was converted w/o a jumper but it does have a few stray wires goin thru the firewall, probly for vtec. I havnt looked very hard at it though. Thanks man that should be all I need.

Archived