Intermittant Overheating Problem 99 Accord

netbret

Help...I'm troubleshooting a 99 Accord V6 with a friend of mine that just recently started to have an overheating problem. It only happens sometimes but when it does, the temp gauge shows hot and blows coolant all over the engine compartment. I also noticed that the fans are not turning when engine gets hot. I've replaced the coolant (50/50 mix), and the thermostat with no luck. I was going to look at the fuses for the fan and wasn't sure about the weep hole leaking on the pump, but I was looking for some other suggestions on what else to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Check all your fuses. Don't forget the ones under the hood. The cooling system fuses are not always marked well.

Pull the wires from the fan and touch it directly to the battery. The fan should be fine but that will rule it out.

When the car is running hot you can feel the radiator hoses and see if they are all hot or of one on them is cold. That can help pinpoint the location of the problem.

had the same problem last summer. the fan thermometer/switch was bad. another fancy way to test it is to drop the switch in a cup of boiling water and use a meter to test for conductivity. if it isn't allowing a current to run through, or is sending the wrong resistance then its bad, and cost me $20 at autozone for a new one. take note that the switch i got was a duralast brand, and was apparently set to close the circuit at a higher temp than stock so a mechanic tried to tell me that the fan wasn't coming on, when it was just coming on later than OEM. i think factory is 180 degree and the one i got was a 190+

Xeryon, I tried your idea and directly connected my fans (one at a time) and found that the primary worked, but the secondary wouldn't turn on (which was on the driver side). I also found the lower heater core hose had a leak that caused my coolant "spraying" problems. I've replaced the hose and those crappy stock clamps and so far, no leaks!

I wanted to ask you and Pballer2005 if it's possible that a defective fan switch wouldn't allow a fan to run even if it was directly connected to the battery? Great tips so far...I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel! I'm going to take it out for a test run and to see what happens.thumbsup.gif

Xeryon, I tried your idea and directly connected my fans (one at a time) and found that the primary worked, but the secondary wouldn't turn on (which was on the driver side). I also found the lower heater core hose had a leak that caused my coolant "spraying" problems. I've replaced the hose and those crappy stock clamps and so far, no leaks!

I wanted to ask you and Pballer2005 if it's possible that a defective fan switch wouldn't allow a fan to run even if it was directly connected to the battery? Great tips so far...I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel! I'm going to take it out for a test run and to see what happens.thumbsup.gif

if you directly connect them to a power source and it still doesn't work then it's the fan motor. and my car only has one coolant fan, the other is for the AC condenser.

if you directly connect them to a power source and it still doesn't work then it's the fan motor. and my car only has one coolant fan, the other is for the AC condenser.

Which is exactly what he has, unless he doesn't have A/C.

After my test run and a day of running around town, it looks to be maintaining the proper temp. Now that I know that the coolant fan is indeed not working, I'll start to look around to replacing it. THANKS!

After my test run and a day of running around town, it looks to be maintaining the proper temp. Now that I know that the coolant fan is indeed not working, I'll start to look around to replacing it. THANKS!

as long as you keep the car moving at a constant speed it wont overheat because air will be moving over the radiator. its when you are stopped that you have to watch the needle

Archived