Bent valves (oh crap)

JewelsAccord

Well, looks as if my car isn't so lucky :crazy: Tech called and said they put the new waterpump/timing belt on and when they started the car it was backfiring real bad....and something about 2 out of 4 cylinders are working...He says bent valves :( so, they are pulling the heads tmrw and investigating further..The story about the car was a recent timing belt was put on but the shop never told me about adding a new water pump as well...so, wp went and the belt slipped off rather than actually break but still must have caught the valves while they were open..I sure the hell hope my pistions are ok...he said it's rare for them to be damaged, so if any luck is on my side that slipped belt only caused bent valves...Looking at a costly repair..wow, just before tax time..I must have some luck on my side!..LMAO what do you guys think?...just bent valves?

Well, looks as if my car isn't so lucky :crazy: Tech called and said they put the new waterpump/timing belt on and when they started the car it was backfiring real bad....and something about 2 out of 4 cylinders are working...He says bent valves :( so, they are pulling the heads tmrw and investigating further..The story about the car was a recent timing belt was put on but the shop never told me about adding a new water pump as well...so, wp went and the belt slipped off rather than actually break but still must have caught the valves while they were open..I sure the hell hope my pistions are ok...he said it's rare for them to be damaged, so if any luck is on my side that slipped belt only caused bent valves...Looking at a costly repair..wow, just before tax time..I must have some luck on my side!..LMAO what do you guys think?...just bent valves?

Compression and leakdown test will tell for sure, but it sounds like it. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to throw some stainless steel valves in there.

I'm not sure if they are doing the leakdown test or not..They just mentioned pulling the heads and checking from there...Does that sound right?...I could be wrong but he did mention that they are pulling the head apart and checking the damage...I might pop in tmrw with my cam and snap some pixs...Crap, how does a slipped belt cause valve damage?...I thought only a actual broken belt (one that's shreaded)...Maybe It happened after I tried to start the car >_< oh lord, I'm mad!..More at myself because I shouldv'e told that other shop to replace the wp as well... :( Gawd, leave it to a woman to screw up a Honda!..LOL darnit...

I think it may be cheaper to put another engine in it rather than repairing that one. You can find those f22's at junk yards for $300. Or on craigslist for like $200.

I think it may be cheaper to put another engine in it rather than repairing that one. You can find those f22's at junk yards for $300. Or on craigslist for like $200.

Yup, I'm already on that track.hehe Just talked with him and he gave me a price of about 300 for a new head with all the goodies :thumbsup: Although, they still need to check and see what damage has indeed been done...I think I might have needed an Valve adjustment ne-ways because I got a slight valve noise while car was warming up...Worse case with the car is a pistion was chipped or worse and now I have metel floating around the rod bearings :crazy: But he said the car was only back firing with no unusual engine noises..Gawd, I just want my baby back!...I dream about that car everynight and it's driving my eyelids insane! :rant:

Crap, would I need a complete cylinder head or regular? I'm guessing the whole package includes the head gasket kit type stuff?...

Edit..I must say shopping around for cylinder heads is very exciting! Better than clothes shopping!..I'm serious too :rolleyes: found one online at Rams Cylinder head for 395.00 no tax 3 yr warr. has been through a pressure test and all....Hmmmmm I'll keep shopping..lol

Cheaper to rebuild the head than buy a new engine. Especially after you factor in cost of labor. A slipped belt would cause the cams to be out of sync with the crank, causing valves to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time. They should do a leakdown and compression test before pulling the head.

Just an update...The shop found all of my 16 valves are bent...theres no other damage and they are simply going to rebuild that head...I wont have my car back until the end of this month though because I'm just going to wait for taxes and pay with that...I have my hubbs truck to drive, so they can take their time and have fun with my car...I'm also adding new stuff like a Harmonic balancer, new timing cover and a few more items...Wont be as costly as I thought but lesson learned...I'm just going to allow them to do tune-ups etc with my car from this point on..They have showed their loyalty to their customers..Thanks for all the help on my Accord..Can't wait to get her back and cruise out... :D

Just an update...The shop found all of my 16 valves are bent...theres no other damage and they are simply going to rebuild that head...I wont have my car back until the end of this month though because I'm just going to wait for taxes and pay with that...I have my hubbs truck to drive, so they can take their time and have fun with my car...I'm also adding new stuff like a Harmonic balancer, new timing cover and a few more items...Wont be as costly as I thought but lesson learned...I'm just going to allow them to do tune-ups etc with my car from this point on..They have showed their loyalty to their customers..Thanks for all the help on my Accord..Can't wait to get her back and cruise out... :D

Wow, never heard of bending all of them at once, that sucks. Goodluck getting it fixed. :D

Yup, all 16 of them...might have happened after I tried starting the car when it died..like a moron >_< but, I'll try to get ya'll some pixs...I told the shop I wanted my valves back..lol as a reminder to change belt/wp at same time.. :blush:

Haha. I need to get around to doing that, as well as a valve adjustment. I don't think the TB has been replaced on the car since it's been new. I'm currently at 189K and some change. I think I'll need new rings in a couple years or so...

Haha. I need to get around to doing that, as well as a valve adjustment. I don't think the TB has been replaced on the car since it's been new. I'm currently at 189K and some change. I think I'll need new rings in a couple years or so...

oh, don't wait on the TB!...In my case I had a shop replace it but tell me the WP was fine(just because it showed no leaks)..5 months later it's as broke as slamming glass on concrete...I did however get a new timing cover from that other shop, because they didn't bolt it correctly causing damage to it..

Archived