New From New York

NYHondaluvr

Just thought I'd finally say "Hello" and intreoduce myself. I'm from Upstate New York and I actually joined awhile ago but haven't posted anything simply because I hadn't actually purchased a Honda yet. Well, I picked up my first Honda this past weekend. I now have a '97 Civic DX. I picked it up for an unbelievable $150 after talking the guy down from $1000. According to him, the car "needed nothing" and was in great, "turn key" condition.

When I went to look at the car before Christmas, I found a two door Civic DX that didn't look too bad, sans a dented driver's door from an encounter with a street curb. The car has new brakes and exhaust as well. I went over the car with a fine toothed comb though and found the manual transmission makes noise when it's in gear, but is quiet in neutral. The a/c also needs a compressor and the cv joints are bad. The guy couldn't believe I found all this stuff wrong with it and questioned my findings. I told him to take the car to his mechanic and let him go over the car as well and to get back to me when he was done. He called me Sunday morning and asked if I was still interested in the car and he did indeed confirm that everything I had said that was wrong with the car was indeed faulty and needed attention. He asked me what I would give him for his car and I simply told him not a dime over $150. He told me he'd have title in hand and to come pick the car up so he could get it out of his yard. I made the short trip over, paid him the money, threw my dealer plate on the car and drove it home. The car is now in my garage on jackstands with the half shafts removed and I found a driver's door yesterday that is the same color red as my car for $100. So, with the exception of the tranny noise, I will have less than $500 in this little car. I'm not sure if it's the clutch in the tranny or if it's the tranny itself that needs work. That's one area I'm not an expert on, but I figure I'll get it worked out soon enough.

I'm trying to decide if I want to transform it into a "Tuner" or just drive it into the ground the way it sits. I've never modded an imprt car before so it would be totally new territory to me. I'm also not a 20-something kid, but rather am in my 40's. I'm not quite sure I would "fit" into the Tuner scene being my age and such...

Anyways, that's me in a nutshell. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to making many new friends and learning more about this car as time progresses.

Later,

Bri

welcome to Hondaforums.

the tuner scene isnt really that hard to get into. there are a few modifications that you can do that would give you some horsepower as well as give you slightly better gas mileage.

Air intake, header, and an exhaust. If you want to go a little bit more into it, an intake manifold and a larger throttle body would give you a few more ponies.

post pics if you can

Archived