SRS Light On

RichB in AZ

On my 2000 V6, the SRS light decided to come on this week. So I assume the airbags won't go off.

The book says to hook up the special "Honda PGM tester" and count the flashes etc to figure out what has gone wrong this time.

Has anyone had success figuring out these problems without going to a dealer?

Do other PGM testers work with a honda?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. the other issue with the engine cracking noise seems to have gone quite for now - of course, my camera is fixed now and it won't do it. Typical

Rich

Well Auto zone gave me a free read with their DRB, but there must be something special they need to do with their generic DRB. Perhaps a secret keycode (like A,B,A,B down,up and then fire?)

Anyway their code reader did not put the SRS light into blink mode.

I went to ciruit city to get the connector mentioned in that guide and of course they are going out of buisness and had little stock left, then trucked over to Best buy and they don't carry that exact part number either. I found late model Honda speaker connectors but the end connections didn't look right.

Think I will try a switch with some twin core wire jammed into the connector to zero out the memory. Lets hope radio shack hasn't gone belly up yet.

Seriously, what is yours and your passengers lives potentially worth?

Good question: It depends who you ask;

If it's the government, human life isn't worth squat. If it was, there would be much tougher sentences for those who kill people in car crashes, due to stupid or drunk driving. With around 40K deaths and 2 million injured per year, you think something would be done. But it isn't.

If it's my relatives, then the opposite is true.

And literally, it depends on how much life insurance you carry.

I just dislike going to the dealer, which is why I bought the manual for the car (and every car I've owned). It's inconvenient to "go in" and when they have your car, they have you over a barrel. It's hard to say no to work they "suggest" you need, but won't prove it.

I see Honda also makes it difficult for the independent shops to work on your car, even if they wan't to pony up the cash for a scanner http://classic.artsautomotive.com/Scanners.htm which looks like it is around $4500 http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/testequipm.../MTS3100OE.aspx

So IF I can solve problems on my own, I like to do it.

But I may have to take the car in if clearing the memory doesn't solve the light coming on problem.

It would be nice for the airbags to work, but I have done alright so far without them.

Rich

Good question: It depends who you ask;

If it's the government, human life isn't worth squat. If it was, there would be much tougher sentences for those who kill people in car crashes, due to stupid or drunk driving. With around 40K deaths and 2 million injured per year, you think something would be done. But it isn't.

If it's my relatives, then the opposite is true.

And literally, it depends on how much life insurance you carry.

I just dislike going to the dealer, which is why I bought the manual for the car (and every car I've owned). It's inconvenient to "go in" and when they have your car, they have you over a barrel. It's hard to say no to work they "suggest" you need, but won't prove it.

I see Honda also makes it difficult for the independent shops to work on your car, even if they wan't to pony up the cash for a scanner http://classic.artsautomotive.com/Scanners.htm which looks like it is around $4500 http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/testequipm.../MTS3100OE.aspx

So IF I can solve problems on my own, I like to do it.

But I may have to take the car in if clearing the memory doesn't solve the light coming on problem.

It would be nice for the airbags to work, but I have done alright so far without them.

Rich

I understand your reticence of going to the dealer, but you do realize that they offer the best service for your vehicle. If there is something I can't do, I take it to my buddy who is a certified Honda mechanic. If he can't do it, then I run it to the dealer. Fortunately I haven't had to go that far yet.

I just dislike going to the dealer, ...

Do you realize Honda Tool Number 07PAZ-0010100 is about $5, and you can make your own with any 2-pin Honda connector that has both wires connected?

Did you read this link? You realize the Scan Computer just pulls that code and assigns a line text to display. It is the same as if you pull the code up yourself and then find out what it means.

James,

I did read the link (twice) and that first post is very similar to what the Honda manual says for reseting the memory, which I haven't got round to yet... been busy.

What I was hoping for, was that the scan tool at autozone would put the SRS light into "blink mode", so I could read the code and check it against the book. Unfortunately it didn't.

So now I'm on the path to zeroing the memory and hope it was just a glitch and it will stay off, or seeing if it's the seat belt switch causing it to come on or last but not least, taking it to the dealer.

I was just hoping there was a way to get the codes, but it seems like there might not be.

Appreciate the help

Rich

I read over your problem involving a 2000 Accord and your SRS light. You will have to take it to the dealer for diagnosis and until then the air bags will not deploy. I am guessing either a 9-3 (Drivers Front Seat Belt Buckle Failure) or 15-1 (OPDS Failure)...extremely common on Accord. Good news is the 9-3 for the seat belt buckle is covered under a lifetime warranty from Honda, which would result in no charge to you. The 15-1 carries a 10 year 157k extended warranty and if you send me your VIN I can verify your vehicle applies to this warranty extension...hope this is helpful.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I can claim success even if it's only partial (we shall see if the light stays off)

The connector is well buried under the left side dash and I had my daughter try to get it out but in the end I found that sitting on the garage floor, with the door wide open let me get 2 hands on it. In fact I had to loosen the lower facia cover with the 2 screws hidden under the fuse cover to allow me full access. The wires were not long enough to get the connector below the facia cover.

I used a paperclip in the end and wasn't having much luck getting rid of the codes at first untill i got the paper clip into the correct side of the connector. At first the light sequence wasn't working quite right, which was stumping me, but then on the third try it did... got the double blink, reconnected the circuit and it worked.

After hearing about the seat belt thing, I started up the car and with a foot on the brake took it thru the gears and back to park without the seatbelt and it was fine. Then I started it again with the seatbelt connected, and it stayed off. Then I had a passenger sit in and do the right seatbelt and it is still off. All this with the gear cycling thing. The only thing it didn't get was a road speed signal.

So I hope it works on the road, I'll have the wife road test it :)

Thanks again from Rich B in Mesa AZ

...oh and if you live in AZ, don't forget to take your license plate frame off before Jan 1st (dumb stupid law)

• 3 months later...

took my 2002 accord to the dealer and cost me $95 for the srs light diagnostic. dealer told me i have the codes 9-3 and 9-4 driver and passenger belt buckle and it will cost me another $411. so, i started searching the net to look for a honda forum and i endeed up to this site. first of all, i would like to thank each and everyone of you for the technical advice and some ideas about the srs light. after reading all of this, i went to the dealer today and told the service rep to check the warranty on my seat belt buckle. first, he told me its out of warranty. then he said he will talk to his manager. then when gets back, he told me the company extended the warranty cuz alot of people are complaining. in other words, i got my $95 back and he ordered the 2 buckles for free plus installation. ain't that great. btw, the name of the dealer is Ball Honda of san diego, ca.

took my 2002 accord to the dealer and cost me $95 for the srs light diagnostic. dealer told me i have the codes 9-3 and 9-4 driver and passenger belt buckle and it will cost me another $411. so, i started searching the net to look for a honda forum and i endeed up to this site. first of all, i would like to thank each and everyone of you for the technical advice and some ideas about the srs light. after reading all of this, i went to the dealer today and told the service rep to check the warranty on my seat belt buckle. first, he told me its out of warranty. then he said he will talk to his manager. then when gets back, he told me the company extended the warranty cuz alot of people are complaining. in other words, i got my $95 back and he ordered the 2 buckles for free plus installation. ain't that great. btw, the name of the dealer is Ball Honda of san diego, ca.

They lied to you. Honda warranties their seatbelt components for life. Cheaper to replace a part for free, than to settle a multi-million dollar lawsuit because of equipment failure.

They lied to you. Honda warranties their seatbelt components for life. Cheaper to replace a part for free, than to settle a multi-million dollar lawsuit because of equipment failure.

i agree with you kastigir. first he said he can't find the stuff for the warranty, then he said he will talk to his manager and took him about 10min. when he gets back, he said that his manager just finish talking to the honda co. that the warranty was extended. aha! what a coincidence. i'm thinking that he probably get a commission out of this deal. anyways, thanks for the help guys.

well you can go to advanced auto and buy a little computer reader or have them use theirs and test it. thats what we have and it tells us every thing that goes wrong with it and you can clear the code and the light will go away

Archived