1994 Honda Civic (D16Z6) Automatic Transmission problem

littlemanx23

It's a little odd what it does, but anyways. It's like it just refuses to shift after the transmission gets around operating temperature (after about 20-25 minutes of driving), it gears down and sticks in 3rd, and then sometimes when it gets worse, it'll downshift to 2nd and won't go any higher. The engine revs continuously and does not shift. I've replaced the speed sensor (speedometer wasn't working, still isn't.) seeing if that'd help anything, but it didn't. Are Honda's just that picky as to what fluid you use in them (I've been using Castrol Import-Vehicle ATF, the fluid in it leaks a bit and I have to keep an eye on it). Is this something sort of like overheating? What could the problem here? Any help is appreciated.

It's a little odd what it does, but anyways. It's like it just refuses to shift after the transmission gets around operating temperature (after about 20-25 minutes of driving), it gears down and sticks in 3rd, and then sometimes when it gets worse, it'll downshift to 2nd and won't go any higher. The engine revs continuously and does not shift. I've replaced the speed sensor (speedometer wasn't working, still isn't.) seeing if that'd help anything, but it didn't. Are Honda's just that picky as to what fluid you use in them (I've been using Castrol Import-Vehicle ATF, the fluid in it leaks a bit and I have to keep an eye on it). Is this something sort of like overheating? What could the problem here? Any help is appreciated.

Fluid leaks, and you're asking what the problem is?

Well. As an update. The transmission is going to get rebuilt. I decided not to buy a used...I'd rather just start new, knowing that It'll last a long time. Long enough for the engine to hold out, at least. Lol...I know Honda engines have a good lifetime on their engines. Far as I know, the engine has around 96-97k on it. Don't plan to race, so hopefully the transmission and engine will last as long as I get on through college (currently 17 right now, one more year of high school then 2 of college...)

• 2 months later...

My car is having similar issues. It ususally wont shift on its own so i have to let my foot off the gas to get it to shift it anywhere after 3500-4000 rpm. it sometimes shifts 1st and 2nd gear but rarely higher than that. im probably gonna get a tranny flush and put new fluid in and hope for the best. any suggestions?

Archived