1988 Accord LXi problems help

thavionhawk

I am a first time Honda owner having had a 94 Nissan Altima GXE and a 95 Nissan Sentra GXE before now, and having lost them to weather related accidentals. Ice in a corner for the Altima, and deep water in anther corner for the Sentra.

I used Craigslist to find a good cheap car, and found an 88 Accord LXi for $950... I had to think something was wrong with this car, and I was correct.

The car specs are Stock standurd 88 Accord LXi, all the options with the Manual 5 speed bolted to the A20A3 2.0L short block I4.

The only aftermarket on this car is its CD deck and speakers.

The list of problems

A.) The tac. starts to jump around like mad around 3k+.

B.) The driver side window is stuck about 1/2" open and is taped shut. Oregon is wet, this must get fixed.

C.) The lock in the drivers doer won't work. I think it is jammed as manual or electric it just won't lock.

D.) The Engine starts missing at high rev's.

E.) I get a real clunk when I put it in revers.

Questions

Dose this engine like Plus 89oct more then Reg 87oct? My Sentra was tuned to run 92oct+ and really loved it.

Would it help to have NGK or DENSO Iridium Spark plugs like I did with my Sentra?

Will a K&N Drop in filter work for the better?

As I said before, all I have ever driven were mid 90's Nissans, so all I have ever studied was Nissan stuff. I really look into things like Engine likes and dislikes my last two being KA24DE and GA16DE Altima and Sentra respectively, but I have yet to do that for this car's A20A3.

I am a first time Honda owner having had a 94 Nissan Altima GXE and a 95 Nissan Sentra GXE before now, and having lost them to weather related accidentals. Ice in a corner for the Altima, and deep water in anther corner for the Sentra.

I used Craigslist to find a good cheap car, and found an 88 Accord LXi for $950... I had to think something was wrong with this car, and I was correct.

The car specs are Stock standurd 88 Accord LXi, all the options with the Manual 5 speed bolted to the A20A3 2.0L short block I4.

The only aftermarket on this car is its CD deck and speakers.

The list of problems

A.) The tac. starts to jump around like mad around 3k+.

B.) The driver side window is stuck about 1/2" open and is taped shut. Oregon is wet, this must get fixed.

C.) The lock in the drivers doer won't work. I think it is jammed as manual or electric it just won't lock.

D.) The Engine starts missing at high rev's.

E.) I get a real clunk when I put it in revers.

Questions

Dose this engine like Plus 89oct more then Reg 87oct? My Sentra was tuned to run 92oct+ and really loved it.

Would it help to have NGK or DENSO Iridium Spark plugs like I did with my Sentra?

Will a K&N Drop in filter work for the better?

As I said before, all I have ever driven were mid 90's Nissans, so all I have ever studied was Nissan stuff. I really look into things like Engine likes and dislikes my last two being KA24DE and GA16DE Altima and Sentra respectively, but I have yet to do that for this car's A20A3.

It sounds like you are going to need to take the drivers door apart to see what is wrong with it. Its very possible the window is off its track and in turn is jamming the lock. That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

The Tach jumping around could be the sensor, cable, or guage cluster. I wouldn't worry about that right off.

Does it clunk trying to shift into reverse, or after its in reverse and you start moving, etc.?

If the car is missing at higher rpm's and its firing on all cylinders, I'm guessing the timing belt would be the first thing I'd change. Spark plugs won't hurt and 4 cylinder Hondas don't need anything higher than 87.

Archived