Slightly harsh shifting from 2nd to 3rd on a 1994 Honda Civic (1.6L VT

littlemanx23

It doesn't do it every time, but from 2nd to 3rd gear, sometimes the shifting process with slightly "hesitate" as I call it I guess? I checked the fluid and it appears to be red. However, I do know that Honda's are quite picky about what trans fluid you use in them (or so I've heard) and I'm wondering if a dealer transmission service would be the best thing to hopefully "remedy" this problem. It's a high mileage vehicle with 160k+ miles on it. Not too terribly sure about how well the transmission was serviced, as I traded in for this vehicle at a lot. It's just always ran well and never let me down.

Oh yeah, I think that because of this irregular shifting, it sometimes stops the odometer/trip odom from turning...can anyone else back me up in this? Any suggestions as to what I may need to do?

I read something somewhere about a little bottle of lubeguard conditioner that is said to work wonders regardless of the case....can anyone account to this or any other additive that may work wonders too?

I'm guessing auto tranny? (you never said). If so, then mine has the same hard shifting and I've researched it and found out 2 things.

1. It's normal for many honda transmissions to shift hard

2. If it's harder than normal shifting, then replacing the Tranny fluid usually solves the problem. Since you can't drain all of the fluid at once, it's recommended to do a drain and refill 2-3 times with about 1000 miles between each. This should get most of the old out and the new in. YOu don't need to take it to a dealer (easier to change than your oil), but make sure you use ONLY Honda's ATF-Z1.

Of course.....if you have a manual tranny then disregard everything I said, but it wouldn't make sense to have "harsh shifting" in a manual tranny so that's why I assumed it to be an auto.

Yeah...I changed the transmission oil (and yes it was an automatic..) it seems to have helped.

Buttt, can anyone tell me why my odometer/trip odometer stops turning sometimes? Could it be an electrical fuse or something? Or is it something in the instrument panel/whatever it's called that it can be getting hung on..

EDIT: Ya'kno..I think I may just replace the gauge cluster. Anyone know how to go about doing this? (pics would be preferable...)..I found a few on EBay (of all places) and see that they have a tachometer...my current civic doesn't have a tach, and I would like to know that if I were to throw in one of these that do, would it work right? Any sort of tools/harnesses I need whenever I'm putting this in (i.e. like an extra wire or some crap since my current cluster doesn't have a tach on it....)

you need a stuby phillips screw driver and a long phillips screw driver.

There are 3 plugs in the back. They are different sizes so u can not possibly screw it up.

It is plug and play.

How much is the one on ebay? I have 2.

"btw, I have the same problem in one of my civics. I'm gonna change the cluster in it soon. It takes like 10 minutes. I did it to "hatch one".

Have you checked motor and transmounts? Is it possible that hard shifting could actually be engine\trans moving back and forth? I am manual only guy, but recently have had to replace mounts on both hatches! :thumbsup:

Well, I found out my problem with mah transmission...it seems that a transaxle seal is bad and it's leaking transmission fluid all over the place, that's what Honda told me today whenever they were doing an inspection on it. That and it's axles are broken...I called a local mechanic who has a reputable reputation around here who said he can replace both axles for about $300-340 (parts, labor and all)..Over 600-700 for axle replacement at honda >>;...bastards....The transaxle seal itself is $23, but honda was trying to charge me 120 for labor on that...and I need a new belt. Just a little bit of maint is all...;).

You have 2 clusters for sale? hell...I found some on ebay for 50-60 or so. PM me with some prices I guess.

synchro is what it is mang tranny+new fluid= no more is good but tranny+new fluid= still happening bad new synchro mang its normal

WHAT?? :o

Am I the only one who didn't understand that??

Nope.....I didn't understand it either. What's even funnier is he comes in here saying "this is the problem" when the problem has already been found......and it's nothing even close to what he said. Reading > Noobs

Archived