Gas Tank

Speed_Safely

What is the proper way to clean out a gas tank. I have a Del Sol shell that has been sitting for about 3 or more years. Now I'm going back into my project. Do I have to drop the tank? Or is there a way I could just flush it out while its stil bolted onto the car? Thanks!

Pretty sure you have to drop the tank. At least the last time I was under there I didn't see a drain plug. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

I'll probably be dealing with this problem too since my car has sat for the last 10 months and I didn't bother to put any stabilizer in. >_<

well if you have no plug, youll have to drop it, empty it, wash it out with water, then put 50/50 water and bleach in it, slosh it around, empty it, wash it out again, empty that of course, let it dry, bolt back up, refuel, and youre good to go... thats how the guys a the BMW dealership told me to do it when i had to clean out mine on my E30

While you have the down time on the car it would really pay to do that anyway, I would think. When else are you gonna have the chance to do it? And a 14 year old car that's been sitting for the past three years could probably use it...

"Do it right or do it twice."

well if you have no plug, youll have to drop it, empty it, wash it out with water, then put 50/50 water and bleach in it, slosh it around, empty it, wash it out again, empty that of course, let it dry, bolt back up, refuel, and youre good to go... thats how the guys a the BMW dealership told me to do it when i had to clean out mine on my E30

What's the bleach do?

well FYI if there is any baremetal exposed in the tank the bleach acts as an oxidizer and corrodes the FK outa the metal, Honestly just use some isopropyl alchahol, or a drycleaning solvent (PD-680, brake cleaner, electric parts cleaner) or if you dont have access to bulks of those dry cleaning solvents use a strong concentrate of simple green, and flush it out a few times.

well FYI if there is any baremetal exposed in the tank the bleach acts as an oxidizer and corrodes the FK outa the metal, Honestly just use some isopropyl alchahol, or a drycleaning solvent (PD-680, brake cleaner, electric parts cleaner) or if you dont have access to bulks of those dry cleaning solvents use a strong concentrate of simple green, and flush it out a few times.

amen to the alcohol!!! it's cheap, about 50 cents a bottle last time i checked. Just buy good bit of that, dump in and it will evaporate relatively quickly.

Archived