Engine noise and shake

rambandagi

Hi,

I got oil changed for my Accord 92, two days back and today had the front brakes replaced(pads, rotors and bearing - was a rip off of 630$, of what started as an inspection).

All was well when I took the car to the automatic car wash - and all of a sudden driving on the highway the car started giving jerks...it worsened. I stopped the car and started it again ...the noise (thud...thud...) got pretty bad and the car was shaking with the noise - more like the shake synchronizing with each thud. Also there was weird smell of burnt gas/oil coming from the engine and exhaust. From the exhaust I hear the same pattern - however no black fumes.

The noise worsens as I accelerate (press on gas) and when the gear is engaged...it goes down (not completely) when I put the car in neutral.

Is this something serious or is it the heat shield (since this is 92 accord, I am guessing that the rusty part may have given away)....

Any input or suggestions for this problem would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Something may be loose, the noise should stop once what ever it is falls off your car.

No joke, I had a loose rotor bolt come off, grind my CV axle (destroying the ABS sensor notches), then fall off. It made alot of noise before it fell out of my hub.

I would jack the car up and check everything out.

did you check to see if they put oil back in your car? ive heard of shops "changing" oil and then forgetting the last step where they put new stuff back in

Hi thanks a lot for your replies.

I checked the oil - it is clean and upto the level.

Today I jacked up the left front wheel to see where exactly the noise is coming from. Its more of a thumping noise - which is more underneath the engine - I do not see any noise from the engine itself. Also when I hold my hand against the exhaust vent, the exhaust is in synchrony with the thump of the noise.

I took it to Sears today and they told me that they were not able to diagnose the problem...they suggested that it could be some serious engine problem...but not sure !!!! I am a little surprised that these guys, who claim to be experts, cannot even suggest what it could be!

I looked up on the net and found that some had similar problems...and the cause was a broken rusted exhaust.

The noise underneath the engine - almost (not sure) at the place where the exhaust is connected to the engine, and the smell of burnt fuel inside my car - point more to a broken exhaust.

However, the shaking of the car with each thump (i feel the shake in the steering wheel), which is worse whenever I accelerate ( not much when idling, but still present) is making me nervous if it the engine.

I will take to the guys who changed the breaks yesterday (after which this problem started). Hope they will be honest in telling me what the problem is. I am having hell of a time searching for mechanics who are honest.

Thanks guys.

Have you checked for an engine miss fire? Odd that you got the car wet at the wash and then your problem started. Bad exhaust, especially at the A-pipe with typically cause a buzz/vibration sound and not a thud or thumping sound. I would see if you have a miss fire.

My two cents.

• 1 month later...

try putting new spark plugs in it first , it does sound somewhat like hes describing misfire for sure. if it was bottom end going , hed know it , lol. no engine light on?

• 4 weeks later...

whats the latest on this? any progress... sounds like engine misfiring as was mentioned earlier so take the steps to remedy that...

I had a similar problem on my nissan maxima after having an engine wash... it stuttered a bit until it dried off a few hours later...

maybe it could be your sparks?

Archived