5th Gen Accord USDM: Digital Climate Control (a/k/a the CL dash swap)

James Matteu

I did some testing tonight.

I used the Accord dash since nobody has come by to pick it up.

I used some heat to try and soften the PVC, all it did was burn and let off dioxins.

I was able to cut the PVC, although the hacksaw I was using has a blade with low tooth count, so it kept catching on the plastic and snaping it apart.

I did successfully use some rivets to rejoin a peice of the dash I cut in two by using another peice of PVC from behind as a joint. The joint snapped at one point. I am going to have to use a sheet of aluminum to join the peices. The good news is that the head of the rivet cannot be seen when covered by the vinyl pad.

I am starting to realize why custom shops just use wood, it is probably alot easier. Well, at this point, worst case senario, I should be able to make the peice out of a hodge-podge of aluminum and PVC.

I will keep you guys up to date.

If anyone can post a link showing how to put the top part of a 5G Accord coupe door card in a 5G Accord sedan, please post it here. Thanks.

I disconnected something sending power to the foglights, I will check it out next weekend.

When I had the dash out I was trimming and tucking wires I had down there. One that was annoying me was the wire I ran for the foglight switch. The wire was too long and at the time I had lost my soldering iron, so was not able to shorten it properly.

So when I did the dash swap, I cut the offending length of wire and soldered it back together. Then I put it inside a small length of 0.25 inch corrugated tubing (loom). The problem was that I secured the loom to the female connection with electrical tape, so when I went to zip tie the wire to another harness, I pulled the male connection out without realizing it.

All I did was remove the tape, plug the male back into the female, then put the tubbing back on. This time, no zip tie.

I've got my foglights back.

Today I am going to call around to see what bone yard have CL's with full door cards. The one I have been getting parts from has one door card in my color and it is missing everything else, the door handles are missing, rods, locking mechanism. The door swap instructions will help those with coupes, even though the card is a direct swap, the lock to latch distance is different. As always, the instructions will be in the first post.

Putting this in my sedan has become such a huge problem, see below. I think I can get the locks into the door, but I cannot be sure until I can get a complete lockset from the CL into my sedan and see what needs to be changed. I may need to create a door card top and then have a custom shop glue new vinyl pad to it (more money), but I cannot even decide what do until I have the complete lock set.

Problem is, I am out of parts. The two CLs I have been stripping down over the past month don't have anything I can use. I have to find another bone yard with CLs.

Edit: I will probably go back this Saturday to grab the Acura Homelink® System from the CL, while I am there I will probably take what they do have:

- two Inside Handles

- one Inside Handle Trim

- one or two Door Lock Switch Assembly

- all Lock Knob Rods for one side

I removed all the above and became discouraged when I was having trouble checking fitment in another 1996 Accord they have in the same lot, so I left everything in that car, it should still be there next weekend.

Edited by James Matteu

Switches:

The Door Lock Switch Assembly from the CL matches both Accord sedan and coupe; even the connection matches.

The Accord's passenger side Power Window Switch Assembly is located at the Inside Handle Assembly. On the CL, Power Window Switch Assembly is located on the Passenger Door Grip. This presents a problem, as in switching to the CL Door Panel top, you potentially loose the Power Window Switch Assembly found on the Accord. On the driver's side, there is no problem and nothing changes; if a new Door Panel can be created as described above.

The Remote Control Mirror Switch Assembly is a direct swap and you get the added bonus of obtaining a Mirror Defogger Switch (for non-Canadian North American models).

I think I may have a solution to this problem!

The 1994-95 Civic has a Passenger Door Grip that has an uncanny resemblance to Accord Driver Door Grip. The Civic grip cup has similar dimensions, the grip and switch are separated by beveled line just like in the Accord, and the window switch sits in a small depression just like in the Accord. The switches on both even look identical.

The problem is that I haven't found the right color, the Civic did come with a tan interior, but the door grips were brown, not taupe or beige.

So now I am searching for a way to change the color.

Perhaps someone can help point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know how to change the color of automotive PVC without painting?

I would like to dye them, but need to know how to bleach them back to white first. I think the color can be applied with Rite dye (according to a few sources on the internet regarding PVC dying.

Edited by James Matteu

• 1 year later...

Here is a wiring diagram of the setup. The red connections are wires that are not found in a US Accord wiring harness and must be added; the easiest way to do this is to use the extra wires from the Accord harness and run new wires where running a new wire is necessary. My instructions follow this meathod. Yes, only 13 new wires to have digital climate control.

USDMDCC.jpg

Edited by James Matteu

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I believe you guys to be hybridized Humanity,part brain surgeon and smart nipondenso.

So one of these generations I will become heavy water in your radiators; then mold a plastic bubble around you and then claim you have nuclear submarine capability and soon declare a missle building and launch with Godzilla UFC rules lol.

Seriously though James M and you other super heros are proficient.

ho no

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

i have the FULL swap, meaning the sensors, blower motor, heater core, interior harness, and of course the control itself etc etc. Can anyone tell me what/exactly HOW to do the swap in a 5th gen? ive got all the parts, just need to know if it has been done before in a USDM lude. and if so, what all is needed before i start ripping out my dash.

i have the FULL swap, meaning the sensors, blower motor, heater core, interior harness, and of course the control itself etc etc. Can anyone tell me what/exactly HOW to do the swap in a 5th gen? ive got all the parts, just need to know if it has been done before in a USDM lude. and if so, what all is needed before i start ripping out my dash.