HELP....Del Sol Won't Start :(

jimbog

Greetings all, my first post on this forum, so please bear with me. I have done a little searching and not found any posts exactly like mine, so I am asking for your assistance.

A couple months ago, I was driving my 1995 Del Sol and the engine cut out on me. Just stopped. I tried starting it immediately, and it wouldn't start. Waited an hour or so, and it started right up. Drove it a little more (15-20 minutes), and it died again. Waited a while, started again. Drove it more, died again. Eventually, that same day, I got it home and into the garage. Over the course of the past couple months, I have tried starting it about a dozen times. It started once, and I was able to drive it down my street until it died again. I thought it was something with the fuel because on the initial day this started happening, I put some cheap gas in it.

So, this weekend a buddy of mine came over and helped me replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, and distributer cap. However, the car still won't start. It just keeps turning over, but never fires up.

As I am trying to start it, after about 2-3 seconds of attempt, the check engine light comes on. We did the thing where you jump the circuit for the diagnostic computer to make the check engine light flash, and it gave us code 15. According to my Hayes manual, this means something is up with the ignition output system.

I am almost at the end of my rope. I am not super familiar with working on cars, and am afraid I may have to take it into the shop if there isn't anything else that may be easily done to remedy the problem. And, of course $$$ is a little tight right now, and I would really love to not have to take it into the shop.

So, any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

Thanks all for the quick feedback.

Alright, so if I decide to replace the coil/distributor, can anyone give me an idea of what to expect in terms of cost for the parts?

I do have a Honda dealer nearby, so unless someone has another suggestion, that is probably where I would buy the parts from.

THANKS AGAIN!

it will be a lot cheaper to just do the coil first... then hopefully that solves the problem. if not then get a distributor and take the coil back that you bought because the new distributor will come with a new coil in it... that's why i said coil and or distributor

Thanks all for the quick feedback.

Alright, so if I decide to replace the coil/distributor, can anyone give me an idea of what to expect in terms of cost for the parts?

I do have a Honda dealer nearby, so unless someone has another suggestion, that is probably where I would buy the parts from.

THANKS AGAIN!

You will be unable to buy the distributor from the dealer. You can purchase the sub-assembly, which you then swap out from the distributor. Best bet would be to go to Autozone, NAPA, or the like for a new distributor. Unless swapping out the guts is something you think you're up to.

Had the same problem yesterday,

Does your sol start after its been sitting awhile and then not start again? Try turning the key to the on position and see if you can hear the fuel pump pressurize (should be a whirring noise), and if you hear it, start the car up (It should crank and stay running). Then turn it off, wait a minute, then turn the key to the on position to hear the fuel pump, if you don't hear it, try to start it. (It shouldnt crank but may sputter due to fuel still left in the injectors).

If this is the same problem, Replace the Fuel pump relay. Had the same problem and now cranks fine..

Had the same problem yesterday,

Does your sol start after its been sitting awhile and then not start again? Try turning the key to the on position and see if you can hear the fuel pump pressurize (should be a whirring noise), and if you hear it, start the car up (It should crank and stay running). Then turn it off, wait a minute, then turn the key to the on position to hear the fuel pump, if you don't hear it, try to start it. (It shouldnt crank but may sputter due to fuel still left in the injectors).

If this is the same problem, Replace the Fuel pump relay. Had the same problem and now cranks fine..

A Main Relay throws no code when it fails. Neither does the coil. You need to replace the distributor.

usually , when someone encounters this problem of the car dying when hot and starting and drivin once cold again , it needs an ICM. ignition control module , AKA ignitor. located in the distributor. if this is your isse , which i think it is , you dont need a whole dizzy , just replace the ICM. it could possibly be a coil as well , in which case , you can replace that without buying a whole dizzy as well. i think you need an ICM based on my experience. but some problems hav similar symptoms.

If its not the coil/ distributer. Try replacing the cylinoid. Or it could be the fuel pump. To check that get a freind to try to turn the key, to run, but dont start it, while you listen to the gas tank. You should be able to hear the fuel pump whine.

It sounds like ur not getting gas (or enough gas) to the engine.

Does your sol start after its been sitting awhile and then not start again? Try turning the key to the on position and see if you can hear the fuel pump pressurize (should be a whirring noise), and if you hear it, start the car up (It should crank and stay running).

This isn't really my problem. Right now, my Sol won't start at all. Originally, this is kind of what happened, but the condition seemed to deteriorate very quickly. I believe that when I turn the key to ON, I CAN hear the fuel pump.

I think a buddy of mine has a spare coil, so I am going to give that a try and see what happens. Thanks again to all for the feedback, I will let you know how it all works out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Del Sol is running again!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the problem ended up being the ICM (Ignition Control Module). My good buddy from work, Joel, was able to get a replacement ICM from one of his friends, and he helped me swap it out this weekend. So my Del Sol is back up and running just in time for the Spring/Summer season.

So if you are having this issue, you might check the ICM. It wasn't too complicated to swap out, if you know a little about the distributor assembly.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

• 11 months later...
Greetings all, my first post on this forum, so please bear with me. I have done a little searching and not found any posts exactly like mine, so I am asking for your assistance.

A couple months ago, I was driving my 1995 Del Sol and the engine cut out on me. Just stopped. I tried starting it immediately, and it wouldn't start. Waited an hour or so, and it started right up. Drove it a little more (15-20 minutes), and it died again. Waited a while, started again. Drove it more, died again. Eventually, that same day, I got it home and into the garage. Over the course of the past couple months, I have tried starting it about a dozen times. It started once, and I was able to drive it down my street until it died again. I thought it was something with the fuel because on the initial day this started happening, I put some cheap gas in it.

So, this weekend a buddy of mine came over and helped me replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, and distributer cap. However, the car still won't start. It just keeps turning over, but never fires up.

As I am trying to start it, after about 2-3 seconds of attempt, the check engine light comes on. We did the thing where you jump the circuit for the diagnostic computer to make the check engine light flash, and it gave us code 15. According to my Hayes manual, this means something is up with the ignition output system.

I am almost at the end of my rope. I am not super familiar with working on cars, and am afraid I may have to take it into the shop if there isn't anything else that may be easily done to remedy the problem. And, of course $$$ is a little tight right now, and I would really love to not have to take it into the shop.

So, any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

HI JOHN,YOUR ECM REPORTS CODE 15 MEAN OUTPUT IGNITION SYSTEM FAILURE,THAT IS ECM INTERNAL PROBLEMS BECAUSE ECM SEND SIGNAL TO ICM (IGNITION CONTROL MODULE) TO FIRE IGNITION COIL,SO MOST LIKELY YOU HAVE ECM INTERNAL PROBLEMS,FIND A REBUILD 1 AT AUTO ELECTRONIC SHOP OR OEM PART.NOT RECOMMENDED USED ECM MAY NOT LAST LONG. GOOD LUCK.

• 2 months later...

I just rebuilt my d16z6, and it was running great. I just started my car and after about 20 seconds I heard a pop noise from the engine and the car died and wont start. I am getting spark from the plugs and I am getting fuel, and the timing is dead on. The only problem I could find is that now the car has 0 compression in all 4 cylinders.

Anybody have any suggestions??? Please help.

Well no compression either means it's all leaking out, or nothing is getting in in the first place. How did you find out you've got no compression?

A cylinder leakage test will tell you where it's coming from if you have the tools for it. I'm pretty sure Autozone rents those out...

Archived