5th Gen Accord USDM: Security System w/Options (from 1G CR-V)

James Matteu

How to put this on your key chain, and have it do more than look good.

FOB2001.jpg

These instructions are for USDM 1996-97 Honda Accord, non-SE models, but can be adapted to other vehicles.

Parts:

Keyless/Security Control Unit:

Honda replaced P/N 08E51-SV4-100F with P/N 08E51-SV4-102F, but the Security Control Unit pinout never changed; here is the pin-out for both 08E51-SV4-102F and 08E51-SV4-100F:

01 Wagon Unlock Output

02 Door Switch Input

03 Trunk Open Input

04 Hood Switch Input

05 Disarm Switch

06 Lock Output

07 Select Unlock Relay Control

08 Unlock Output

09 Siren Control (-)

10 Battery

11 Ignition

12 NC*

13 Ground

14 Security Indicator Control

15 Ignition Key Switch Input

16 Ceiling Light Control

17 Light Flasher Relay Control

18 Horn Control

19 Starter Cut Relay Control

20 Trunk Open Control

21 Siren Control (+)

22 Wagon Lock Output

*I could not find any information on what this pin is supposed to do, so I opened my Security Control Unit and listed what is printed on the circuit board.

Attachment Kit:

You have three choices here:

1. BUY ONE

IF you can find/purchase an Attachment Kit for a 1996-97 Honda Accord, Honda P/N 08E55-SV4-101, congratulations, your finished, just follow the dealer install instructions and your done.

2. MAKE ONE FROM SCRATCH

You can buy new or used relays, some fuse holders from Radio Shack, and connections from the salvage yard. Just use the information I provide below to make your parts list.

3. ALTER ANOTHER ATTACHMENT KIT

You can obtain one of the following:

1996-01 Honda CR-V, Honda P/N 08E55-S10-100,

1996-97 Honda DelSol, Honda P/N,

1997-00 Honda Odyssey, Honda P/N,

and make your own attachment kit (I started with the CR-V attachment kit).

Honda P/N 08E55-S10-100 comes with:

1 Operating Instructions, Honda P/N 08E51-SV4-1F181,

2 Mitsuba #725 1T, 12V Normally Open 5-pin relays, Honda P/N 39799-SE0-014,

2 Mitsuba #727 RC-2201, 12V Normally Open 4-pin relays**, Honda/Acura P/N 39797-SE0-004

1 Microfuse, 3A,

2 Transmitter, Keyless Entry Cipher, Honda P/N 39950-S01-A01

1 Disarm Switch Assembly, Honda P/N 8E51-SV4-1M004

1 diode***,

2 large black re-closable zip ties,

1 medium sized blue push pin zip tie,

1 small clear zip tie,

2 Wire Harness Cushion (50mmx100mm), Honda P/N 91902-SB2-003

1 fuse sticker, 3A

2 "Equiped With HONDA Theft Deterrent System" window stickers (reversed for inside placement),

5 10mm bolts,

3 10mm nuts,

2 small L-shaped brackets, and

1 large bracket.

** For the Accord installation, only one of the 4-pin relays is needed. The CR-V Attachment Kit came with a pair of 4-pin relays since the CR-V has a trunk window release solenoid. This second relay can be repurposed to function as a trunk release relay, used to operate a trunk release mechanism.

*** The Accord does not have a roof mounted trunk light like in the CR-V, the diode is unecessary.

Then obtain these connections from another Accord:

C412 p98 8-GRY left dash, cut off both the male and female connection,

C413 p98 20-GRY or 20-BLU left side of dash, cut off both the male and female connection,

C425 p95 find something that connects to C425, it's either a 4-GRY or 3-GRY,

C435 p81 20-GRY left dash, cut off both the male and female connection,

C609 22-GRN behind Gauges, only the female connection is there, take it,

*C608 14-GRN behind Gauges, only the female connection is there, take it,

*C607 16-GRN behind Gauges, only the female connection is there, take it,

C634 p60 6-GRY driver's door, cut off both the male and female connection,

* These two connections are needed for their wires.

Security Options:

Hood Switch Kit: Honda P/N 08E49-SV4-100G

Siren Kit: Honda P/N 08E49-SV7-101F

Security Option Harness: Honda P/N 08E57-S84-100

If you can find any of the Security Options for sale, more power to ya! For the rest of us, I will show how to make your own Hood Switch Kit.

The first thing to do is get the microswitch off a 1G Acura CL that has Hood Switch security option. I haven't seen other Hondas with Hood Switches, but if the switch looks like the one in the photo then chances are it will work.

Trunk Opener:

The Security Main Unit does come with a connection that will operate a trunk release (see pin 20 above), by pressing the Option Button for 30 seconds. More to come...

Fabrication:

Wiring Harness:

These are the harnesses I made:

SecurityHarness.jpg

The GRN 22-pin connection pulled from the other Accord was repinned to get most of the colors to match the stock harness that would have come with the OEM Accord Security Optional Harness; and to add wires where none existed for the gauge cluster. Below you see the gauge cluster connection. As you can see, there are far fewer than 22 wire present.

FOB3007.jpg

First, pry up the stop bar.

FOB3008.jpg

FOB3009.jpg

Then pry up the other stop bar until the connection looks like this:

FOB3011.jpg

Then insert a large paper clip into the release hole, push back until you hear a click.

FOB3012.jpg

FOB3013.jpg

Then remove the pin:

FOB3014.jpg

Repeat this to remove any other pins, insert wires from the other two gauge cluster connections to fill the empty spaces.

Hood Switch:

The hood switch is essentially your regular hood latch with a microswitch rivetted onto the hood latch at the right place.

I will be doing this by or on next weekend (August 16-17), stay tuned.

Security Control Unit Bracket:

The bracket that comes with the 1G CR-V package, is bolted behind the CR-V's left kick panel, just to the left of the CR-V knee bolster. I don't have to tell you 5G Accord guys that we don't have anywhere for this little guy to be bolted to the left of the knee bolster. The dealer installed security option for the 5G Accord goes behind the knee bolster, in front of the steering column; the factory installed keyless entry unit is installed by Honda under the passenger side seat, and works in conjunction with the door lock unit in the driver's side door. Since both Keyless Entry Unit and Security Option Unit utilize antenae if similar range, placing the Security Option in either location is acceptable.

I chose behind to place mine behind the knee bolster to keep the wire harness short and prevent my small children from kicking the unit under the seat.

Remove the kick panel and knee bolster, there are two threaded holes where the stock bracket belongs, I bent the CR-V bracket and used one of the threaded holes to attach the bracket. Then one of the foam pads belongs beneath the bracket. This gets the job done, but I thought it was ugly and plan on obtaining some sheet metal to fabricate my own bracket to fit in the OEM postion at a later date.

Trunk Opener:

More to come...

Installation:

This is section depends alot on how many connections you were able to find, fewer connections means you will be doing more soldering. What I wrote below is based on the connections I suggested to obtain. Note: I had to solder three additional wires since I could not find one of the prescribed connections.

Part One: The Door

Part Two: The Door

Part Three: The Hood

Part Four: The Trunk

LED Options:

LED:

You really can put the LED anywhere, I don't like the one that comes with the kit. I used an LED from a 1996 Acura TL, see below, but may later switch to the LED that comes on a 1999 Acura 3.0 CL Premium.

Honda002.jpg

Other:

How it works:

more to come...

Reason for using the Honda OEM Security System Option for a CR-V:

With the 5th Gen Accord, Honda initially distributed Honda Security System P/N 08E51-SV4-100F as a dealer installed option. The same Honda Security System P/N 08E51-SV4-100F was available as a dealer installed option for the 1996-97 Honda DelSol. At some point in time, Honda replaced P/N 08E51-SV4-100F with the newer P/N 08E51-SV4-102F. It was essentially the same part. I believe Honda was trying to consolidate their stock since the newer part was then used in the 1994-97 Accord, 1996-97 Del Sol, and 1996-01 CR-V.

Reason(s) for doing this with Honda OEM equipment:

I have no good reason to shell out the cash for a Honda system other than I like the way the FOB looks, sorry, I hope you weren't looking for something deep and meaningful.

For $193.55, I got the Security Unit: Honda P/N 08E51-SV4-102F and CRV Attachment Kit: Honda P/N 08E55-S10-100; brand new!

Security System Operating Instructions for P/N 08E51-SV4-102-F:

Introduction

Congratulations on your purchase of this Honda Security System. Your Honda Security System is the product of years of research and development. It will give you many years of reliable performance, protection, and convenience.

The system consists of two major components: a main unit and a remote control transmitter.

The main unit is the "brain" of the system. The built-in programmable microprocessor monitors your vehicle for optimal protection while offering various options to tailor the system to the preferences of the different users.

The pocket-sized remote control allows you to turn the system on and off from outside the vehicle while simultaneously locking an unlocking the doors*. The transmitter can also be used to intentionally activate the horn or optional siren in case of an emergency.

To take full advantage of your Honda Security System, we encourage you to read this manual thoroughly.

Due to the expertise required to properly install the Honda Security System, we highly recommend that the installation be performed by your Honda dealer. Proper wiring and component placement are essential for optimum system performance.

This device complies with FCC Rules Part 15. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference and (2) This device must accept any interference that may be received including interference that may cause undesired operation.

*For vehicles equipped with power door locks.

Precautions

Remote Control Range

Several factors affect and reduce remote control range. Among these are:

1. Proximity to buildings and automobiles.

2. Proximity to high power transmitters (television, radio, cellular, HAM radio, etc.).

3. When the battery becomes weak, the remote control range becomes short.

Vehicle construction and the surrounding environment cause reflected waves that may interfere with the low power RF signal transmitted by the remote control. This interference may result in "dead spots" around the vehicle; places where remote control signals will not be accepted by the main unit.

Handling Remote Control Transmitter

The remote control transmitter is a sophisticated electronic device. To maintain optimum system performance, avoid mishandling the remote control (i.e. dropping, throwing).

Temperature

Avoid exposing the remote control transmitter to extreme hot or cold weather conditions.

Liquids

Never submerge the Remote Control Transmitter in water.

Battery Power

Use the remote control transmitter only when necessary. Every time a button is pressed, the remote control is consuming battery power. If battery is low on power, the transmitting range of the remote will be affected. Check battery periodically and replace it when necessary.

Outside Cleaning

Use a soft cloth to clean the main unit and remote control. Do not use kerosene, thinner or any other type of solvent.

Holding Ring

The ring on the remote control transmitter is designed to attach the transmitter to the main key ring. To avoid damage to the transmitter, do not use this ring as the key ring to hold all keys.

In Case of Loss

If one of your remote control transmitters is ever lost, contact your local Honda dealer for a replacement. Your system will be reprogrammed to prevent the lost remote control transmitter from operating your system. In this case, take all the other remote control transmitters to have them reprogrammed.

If you own extra remotes, bring it all to the dealer for reprogramming.

Remote Control Transmitter

Controls and Functions

1. LOCK Button

When used alone this button arms the security system and locks* the doors.

2. UNLOCK Button

This button disarms the security system and unlocks* the doors.

When this button is pressed once, only the driver's door will unlock*. When this button is pressed a second time within 30 seconds, all the other doors unlock*.

When the door(s) is unlocked, the interior light illuminates at the same time when the interior light switch is set at the door activated position (center).

(For the 1996 Prelude, when this button is pressed once or twice, all doors will be unlocked.)

Note:

After disarm, the system will return (with no "beep") and relock* in 30 seconds if the doors or the trunk (or hood with an optional switch) are not opened.

3. OPTION Button

When the OPTION button is pressed and held for more than one second, the hatch (or trunk) will unlock.

(Functional only on the vehicles equipped with electrically driven unlock system using accessories for the glass hatch or trunk. For details, contact your Honda dealer.)

4. OPTION + LOCK

When the OPTION button is pressed and held simultaneously with the LOCK button for more than 1 second, the confirmation "BEEP" feature is switched between on and off.

The remote control indicator LED will flash once when the confirmation "BEEP" is turned on, and flash twice when the confirmation "BEEP" is turned off.

5. PANIC Button

When this button is pressed and held for more than 1 second, the security system is set to the panic mode.

The horn will sound for 30 seconds (or the optional siren will sound for 60 seconds) and the parking lights flash.

To deactivate the panic mode, press the "LOCK", "UNLOCK" or "PANIC" button, or press and hold the "OPTION" button for more than 1 second.

6. Signal Indicator LED

The LED will light when a remote control button is pushed and the remote control is transmitting a control signal.

The LED indicates the remote control's battery condition. If the brightness of the LED dims, the battery should be replaced.

The LED indicates when the "BEEP" on or "BEEP" off feature is switched.

* On vehicles equipped with power door locks.

Battery Replacement

• The remote control transmitter requires one lithium battery (#CR2025).

• After the battery is replaced, the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button must be pressed 6 times to make sure that the main unit recognizes the remote control transmitter.

• After the batter is replaced the confirmation "BEEP" is reset to off.

1. To Open: Using a coin (Quarter) turn the battery cover counterclockwise and remove the cover from the back of the remote control.

2. The battery is located underneath the cover.

3. Remove the used battery. Make sure you install the new battery with the proper polarity.

Notes:

• Do not remove the rubber cushion ring.

• If the Lithium battery is incorrectly placed (+ and – polarity), the Remote Control Transmitter can be damaged.

4. To Close: Replace the battery cover. Use a coin to turn it clockwise and lock the cover.

Remote Control Code Programming

How to Program Remote Control Transmitters

• For steps 2 through 12, each step must be completed within 5 seconds. For step 13, within 10 seconds for each remote.

• Up to four remotes can be stored in memory.

• All remotes to be programmed must be on hand.

• A non programmed remote will work for this procedure.

• Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position to complete the programming procedure.

1. Disarm the security system.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" (II) position.

3. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.

4. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0, I) position.

5. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position.

6. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.

7. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position.

8. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position.

9. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.

10. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position.

11. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position.

12. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.

• The power door locks* cycle to indicate programming mode. The status LED illuminates simultaneously for 1 second.

• To terminate the programming mode at this point, either turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position or leave the remote's button untouched for over 10 seconds. To program the remote, perform steps 2 through 12.

13. Press the "LOCK" button of each remote (one at a time) to be stored in memory.

• The power door locks* cycle to confirm each entry. The status LED illuminates simultaneously for 1 second.

• A button on each remote control transmitter to be programmed must be pressed. Perform the programming step within 10 second for each remote or else the programming mode will terminate.

Note:

Only 4 remotes can be stored in the system's memory.

*On vehicles equipped with power door locks.

System Controls

Main Unit Switches

Glass Breakage Detector

Disarm/Valet Switch

Arming

Arming Methods

Manual Arming (Remote Controlled)

Auto Arming (Passive)

Auto Arming and Locking (Passive)

Alarm Mode

Alarm Triggered Mode

Disarming

Disarming Methods

There are two possible ways to disarm the system:

• Remote Controlled Disarming

• Disarm/Valet Switch Disarming

Remote Controlled Disarming

• Regardless of the method used to arm the system, the system can be disarmed using the remote control transmitter.

• The system can be disarmed with or without confirmation "beep" depending on which remote mode is selected. (See Remote Control Transmitter section.)

• When the system is disarmed, the system produces a beep sound 2 times if the alarm has not been triggered, however, produces a beep sound 3 times if the alarm has been triggered.

Press the "UNLOCK" button once on the remote control transmitter and the following will occur: the remote control LED illuminates.

• The security system disarms and the parking lights flash 2 times when the Alarm has not been triggered.

If the alarm has been triggered, the parking lights flash 3 times to tell you the alarm has been triggered when the system is unlocked.

• The driver's door unlocks*.

(Pressing the "UNLOCK" button twice will unlock* all the doors).

• The interior light illuminates for 30 seconds with the interior light switch is set at the door activated (center) position.

Note:

After disarm the system will return (with no "beep") and relock* in 30 seconds if the doors or the trunk (or hood) are not opened.

* On vehicles equipped with power door locks.

Disarm/Valet Switch Disarming (During Alarming)

Disarming (During the Entry Delay Time)

Panic

Activating the Panic Function

The horn or optional siren can be Intentionally activated by the remote control transmitter.

This is convenient feature if you need to attract attention in case of an emergency.

Press and hold the "PANIC" button for more than 1 second. The following will occur:

1. The horn sounds for 30 seconds (or the optional siren sounds for 60 seconds).

2. The parking lights flash during alarming duration.

Deactivating the Panic Function

To stop the horn or optional siren before the alarm duration time is up, press the "PANIC", "LOCK", or "UNLOCK" button momentarily or press and hold the "OPTION" button for more than 1 second.

Valet (Auto/Auto Lock Mode)

Placing the System in the Valet Mode

When the security system is placed in the valet mode, it is temporarily placed on "hold". When in the valet mode, the system cannot be armed, but can still be panicked. This is a convenient feature if the car is to be washed, serviced, or valet parked.

1. Disarm the system

2. With the key out of the ignition, press and hold the Disarm/Valet switch for more than 3 seconds.

3. The Status LED will flash once, indicating that the system is in the Valet mode.

Note:

If a door is opened or the ignition key is removed while the system is in the valet mode, the Status LED will illuminate for 2 seconds as a reminder that the system is in the valet mode.

Exit from the Valet Mode

1. With the system in the Valet mode and the key out of the ignition, press and hold the Disarm/Valet switch for more than 3 seconds.

2. The Status LED will flash twice, indicating that the system is out of the Valet mode.

3. The system is now in the Disarm mode.

Tripped Sensor Warning and Indication

Tripped Sensor Warnings

• The system will warn you that the security system has been tripped in your absence.

• If the system was tripped and auto rearmed you will observe the following:

1. The status LED flashes twice per second.

2. The system "beeps" 3 times when disarmed. (If "beep" on)

3. The parking lights flash 3 times when disarmed.

Tripped Sensor Indication

• After disarming the system, if the tripped sensor warning indicator appears, you can identify which sensor has been tripped by observing the number of flashes as shown below.

With the key out of the ignition switch, press the Disarm/Valet switch 3 times in 5 seconds when the system was disarmed. The status LED will flash according to the sensors tripped.

Note:

The tripped sensor indication is reset when the system is armed or the ignition key is inserted (possible to recall).

TRIPPED…………............STATUS LED

SENSOR……….......NUMBER OF FLASHES

Door……...................................1

Trunk…...........................…...…2

System Switches…...................3

Glass Breakage….....................4

Hood*……….............................5

Example 1:

If opening the trunk causes the alarm to be triggered, the Status LED will flash 2 times, pause and repeat this sequence for 1 minute.

Example 2:

If the alarm is triggered twice, first by the opening the door and then by the opening of the trunk, the Status LED will flash once, pause, flash 2 times, pause and repeat this sequence for 1 minute.

* If the optional hood switch is installed

Last Tripped Sensor Recall

• As a diagnostic tool, the last tripped sensor can be recalled from memory regardless of whether the system had been armed.

• The Remote Control Transmitter is used for this function.

• To recall the last tripped sensor follow this procedure:

• The "LOCK" button must be pressed within 3 seconds of pressing the Disarm/Valet switch.

1. Sit inside the vehicle. All the doors and trunk must be closed. With the ignition key out of the ignition, press and hold the Disarm/Valet switch.

2. Press the "LOCK" button and then the "UNLOCK" button of the remote control transmitter.

3. Release the Disarm/Valet switch. The Status LED will indicate the last tripped sensor.

Optional Items

The Security System Accessories can be purchased at your Honda dealer. (Depending on the vehicle models, the installed accessories vary. For details, contact your Honda dealer.)

To insure proper installation and operation, each accessory should be installed by your Honda dealer.

Soft Chirp Siren

Customize the sound of your Security System. *Only for the vehicles that have the installed accessory.

Emits a soft "CHIRP" for remote control arming and disarming confirmation.

Emits oscillating high frequency tones when the alarm is triggered.

• The horn/siren selector switch of the main unit must be set to siren for the siren to operate.

• The confirmation horn "BEEP" will be changed to a siren "CHIRP".

Hood Switch

For added protection of your Honda vehicle. *Only for the vehicles that have the installed accessory.

The hood switch will trigger the alarm when the hood is opened.

• When the hood switch is installed the hood must be closed for the security system to arm.

Remote Control Transmitter

Additional remote control transmitter scan be added to your system.

Up to four remote control transmitters can operate one vehicle.

Glossary

Word: Description

Alarm Duration: The amount of time the horn or optional siren sounds when the alarm is tripped or the panic feature is activated. The duration is 30 or 60 seconds for the horn or siren respectively.

Arm: To turn the security system's protection on.

*Auto Lock Arming: The optional mode in which the security system is armed automatically (passively) after the trunk and all doors (and hood) are closed. At the same time the system arms, the doors also lock.

*Automatic Arming: The optional mode in which the security system is armed automatically (passively) after the trunk and all the doors are closed. The doors do not lock when the system is armed.

Manual Arming: The mode in which the system is armed and disarmed by the remote control transmitter. This is the factory preset mode.

Disarm: To turn the security system's protection off.

*Entry Delay Time: The amount of time before the alarm is triggered after the door is opened.

*Exit Delay Time: When the system is set to the Automatic or Auto Lock Arming Positions, the amount of time before the system arms after the trunk and all the doors are closed.

Extended Exit Arming: If a door or trunk is opened during the exit delay time, the timer ill reset itself and will restart the count down procedure when that door or trunk is closed.

Panic: A mode in which the horn or optional siren are intentionally activated. Useful for attracting attention case of an emergency.

Relock: A feature where the system rearms itself and locks the doors 30 seconds after being disarmed by the remote control transmitter. This feature is disabled if any of the doors, the trunk, or hood is opened during the 30 second time period.

Sensor Cancellation: A feature which cancels (ignores) a particular sensor which has caused the alarm to be tripped consecutively for 10 minutes.

Tripped Sensor Indication: A feature which indicates, through the status LED, the sensor which tripped the alarm.

Last Tripped Sensor Recall: A diagnostic feature which recalls the last tripped sensor from memory. This feature is not disabled once the alarm is rearmed.

Tripped Sensor Warning: A feature which tells the owner that the alarm was tripped in his/her absence.

*Valet: A mode in which the system cannot auto-arm or re-lock. Useful when the car is being service, valet parked, or washed. The remote control transmitter won't arm or disarm the system in valet mode, but panic feature will work in valet mode.

* Functional only in the Automatic Arming and Auto Locking/Arming modes.

Edited by James Matteu

FOB.jpg

FYI, the FOB pictured is for a 1999-2000 Accord and only 1998+ have trunk openers incorporated into the keyless entry.

Can somebody help me with this?

1. If you have any Accord 1994-1997 with keyless entry, can you give me the name of the manufacturer and MILSPEC number for the 4-pin and 5-pin relays.

2. Um, well #1 is all for now.

Thanks.

Edited by James Matteu

• 5 months later...

I picked up a new goodie for this project from the bone yard.

Security Indicator, Black

Honda P/N 39890-SW5-A01ZA

list: $34.87

bought for $2.50

Honda002.jpg

Honda004.jpg

It came from the door of a 1996 Acura 3.2TL.

Edited by James Matteu

What I was really suprised at was how similar the interior of the 1996 Acura 3.2TL was to the 1997 Honda Accord SE w/wood consol. The design queues are almost identical. The TL has a more extensive use of the faux wood plastic found as an option on the SE (TL has it on the door handles and on the ash tray cover).

What first caught my eye is how the shade of brown Honda used on the TL's door is the same exact shade of brown found on mine. Then I saw the curve at the top was apparently identical, then I saw the security light. I slid the door cover up and noted no difference between the TL and Accord in general layout and hardware. The light was simply held in by clips and fit into a hole that could be cut by a dremel tool. So I grabbed it.

I am going to use a adjustable french curve to find the right part of the door to put this on.

My co-worker has a 2002 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with keyless entry (6G keyless has a trunk opener). She will let me swap our truck release mechanisms to see if hers will bolt onto my trunk.

Today I will make an impression on a piece of paper to see if the bolts line up, then I will go through the trouble of swapping to see if there is adequate clearance.

Edited by James Matteu

I would love this on my del sol but the older hondas did not have a keyless entry :(

1996-1997 Del Sols had keyless entry as an option, no trunk release option though.

My co-worker has a 2002 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with keyless entry (6G keyless has a trunk opener)...Today, I will make an impression on a piece of paper to see if the bolts line up, then I will go through the trouble of swapping to see if there is adequate clearance.

:( Well, no dice. The 2002 Honda Accord has a trunk release mechanism that would not fit where I want to put it. I have to find another Honda with a more compact trunk release mechanism, or breakdown and get some aftermarket jazz.

Edited by James Matteu

1996-1997 Del Sols had keyless entry as an option, no trunk release option though.

I don't see how adapting a 1996 Del Sol keyless entry to a 1995 model would present much of a problem. 1996 was a refresh year, not a huge change in chassis like the 1997 Accord and the 2002 Accord (which is my problem.

Speaking of my problem, can anyone help me? I need to know what Hondas came with keyless entry; and a trunk release as an option or standard equipement.

I thought Preludes had a remote trunk release, but it seems they only had a keyless entry option.

I know the Odyssey has several options, but doubt the equipment would fit the Accord, can someone verify that.

Any help is appreciated.

I thought this was a discussion, but just realized you were the only person posting (besides Chris who doesnt really count as a person).

My Civic has keyless entry but no trunk release. Does that help?

What kind of information are you looking for?

As you know, most of the regulars here have Sols, Civ Hatches, and Integras.

I don't think you're going to get much response from Accord/Prelude owners, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I don't think you're going to get much response from Accord/Prelude owners, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I thought this was a discussion, but just realized you were the only person posting

Nuf, said.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Thank you for your imput, your answer is exactly what I am looking for. I just want to know which ones came with a remote trunk release button with their keyless entry.

The finer intricacies of fitment can be worked out after I establish which came with it. I think the remote trunk release on keyless entry is a upper model option, perhaps I would have luck with Integra owners or somebody with a TL or RL.

I should probably go back to the boneyard to the 1996 3.2TL I nabbed the security light from and see what the trunk release looks like.

Edited by James Matteu

I know the Odyssey has several options, but doubt the equipment would fit the Accord, can someone verify that.

I don't know if this will help, but its information none-the-less:

I had a 1996 Odyssey, which as far as mounting would probably be a pretty close match, since the earliest odyssey's and the 94-97 Accords were basically identical in their design and mechanically. Obviously, not exact because of the size difference, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, where this early model would come up short for you is the unlocking mechanism worked just like that of a door for the tailgate, it had the little piece that popped up and it was wired directly into the door unlock system so they all worked together rather than an independent system.

Anyway, the long and the short of this is, you are probably going to want to check out the Odyssey's newer than 97? when they went to sliding doors and a power rear gate, because the early 4-door Odyssey's are not going to be practical. I'd stick with that TL if you still have access to it, because if its as close a match as you say, that model is going to be your best bet for the parts you need, and probably with little or no modification to the system.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got out to the bone yard on other business, and I got to check out the Acuras they had.

Bad news, the 1996 TL they had did not have keyless entry with trunk release. In fact, the latch seemed identical to mine.

I checked out a 1997 RL they had and it did have a keyless entry with trunk release, but the mechanism was similar to what Honda used in their 6th Gen Accords, i.e. it wouldn't fit mine.

I guess I will have to settle for a keyless entry without a trunk release unless I find some aftermarket jazz worthy of being installed in a Honda.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the 1G Acura CLs did have keyless entry with trunk opener as either standard equipment or an option (depending on if it's a 2.2, 2.3, or 3.0).

Unfortunately, there is no way to open a CL trunk with a key. The rod the conects to the key cylinder on the Accord, does not exist on all CLs that I have seen. To get around that discrepancy, the CL trunk release assembly could be adapted to accept a rod by drilling in the arm that is connected to the electric motor on the CL trunk release assembly. Then the main problem would be that the CL trunk release assembly still does not fit in the Accord. The space occupied by the Accord trunk release is very tight, relative to the CL. The Accord seems to have a smaller space largely in part to a bulge that resides behind the 5G Accord license plates.

Removing the depression or altering the design of the trunk is not something I want to do since I believe the engineers at Honda put a great deal of thought (hopefully) into how the trunk lid and rear section of my car should collapse in an accident; another reason not to get a CF trunk lid IMO. If someone still wanted to use the CL trunk release, the trunk springs from the CL would have to be swapped in to handle the extra weight of the trunk release motor and any sheet metal work that would need to be done to make room for the assembly.

I did cut a section of sheet metal out of the trunk lid of an Accord DX to test for fitment (in the boneyard), the CL does fit in the proper manner, making it the closest donor match to date.

My search continues.

Today I snatched the hood sensor off a 1999 Acura CL 3.0 Premium. The thing was riveted on the hood latch, it's a microswitch that is closed when the hood lever is pulled. The same switch is used on the 5G Accord's OEM security Hood Sensor option.

Edited by James Matteu

• 3 weeks later...

My plan is to use the 1998-2000 Accord Security System and open the harness to wire it into my system.

I am searching for a pinout of the Security Main Wire Harness, if anyone can help, please do!

I lieu of an OEM trunk release, I will use an after market type and extend the cable using bicycle brake line. My job is to interface the aftermarket deal with the OEM system (not a problem).

So far I have the micro switch that when rivetted onto my hood latch turns my hood latch into:

Security Hood Switch: Honda P/N 08E49-S84-100G

On H&A I can get for $242.40:

Security System: 08E51-S84-100

Main Wire Harness: 08E51-S84-10001

Security Sub-wire Harness: 08E51-S84-10002

And on H&A I can get for $18.00:

Security Option Harness: 08E57-S84-100

I just have to get the generic trunk opener and decipher the pinouts on the OEM security system.

My plan is to use the 1998-2000 Accord Security System and open the harness to wire it into my system...

Okay, new plan. I got the 6G Accord wiring schematics, and that security system uses a combination of the optional attachment and multiplexing units. There are three units that work with the security attachment. Since the security attachment would set me back a pretty penny as it is, I am not going to rewire my door locks to accept this newer system. I will just have to come up with something cleaver for the trunk.

On the upside, I got a CR-V unit for less than $200.00 and this is the same unit that would have come with my car as an OEM option, only the harness and relays are different.

Dude, you've got over 1,000 views.

Crazy isn't it, but it has been here since October 2007.

I dropped $193.55 ($189.60 + $3.95 s&h) for the Honda system. My order goes out today and should be in by next Tuesday. I suspect it may take up to two weeks to be received at the dealership, then they mail it to me.

I am so excited. :D

Total money spent: $195.05

Edited by James Matteu

Two weeks?

If it comes from Honda's distribution center in Atlanta, GA; then they get it Tuesday, July 15, 2008. If it has to come from the Kentucky? distribution center, then it will likely take another week to be received.

Here it comes via FedEx!

Tracking number......180500830454882..............Reference......MATTEU

Ship date.................Jul 16, 2008.......................Destination...JACKSONVILLE, FL

.........................................................................Service type..Ground-Domestic

.........................................................................Weight..........2.5 lbs.

Status.....................Picked up

Date/Time____________Activity____________________________Location________Details

Jul 16, 2008......4:05 PM Picked up...........................................BUFFALO, NY.....................

........................9:03AM Package data transmitted to FedEx

Edited by James Matteu

Four days! Woop! Wooooop!

Tracking number......180500830454882..............Reference......MATTEU

Ship date.................Jul 16, 2008........................Destination...JACKSONVILLE, FL

Estimated delivery....Jul 21, 2008......................Service type..Ground-Domestic

.........................................................................Weight..........2.5 lbs.

Status.....................Arrived at FedEx location

Date/Time____________Activity____________________________Location________Details

Jul 17, 2008......1:56AM Arrived at FedEx location......................SYRACUSE, NY.............

Jul 16, 2008.....10:04PM Left FedEx origin facility.......................BUFFALO, NY................

.........................6:38PM Arrived at FedEx location.....................BUFFALO, NY................

........................4:05 PM Picked up...........................................BUFFALO, NY...............

........................9:03AM Package data transmitted to FedEx

Edited by James Matteu