What's your gas mileage? What helps?

bonus12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 94 Civic. I usually get between 36-39 mpg. This includes driving both highway and stop and go traffic. Going to work (since I leave early) I drive on the hwy with not a lot of stopping. But coming home I take back roads with lots of stop and go. I don't drive as aggresively as I used to since it doesn't really make a difference when stuck in traffic.

I also have Thule Bike rack but a hitch mount and the rack (where the bike sits on the rack not hang) is heavy enough for me to feel it when I am driving. My gas mileage drops to 33-35 mpg range.

I don't add any additives...maybe once a year. I have ordered som BG 44K for my bike and may try some on my car to see if it increases the gas mileage. Will let you know if anyone is interested.

Very interesting discussion guys. I have been wondering the advantages of driving on 1/2 tank over full tank or vice versa.

I (had) a 2001 Civic LX 2-DR, with aftermarket 17" wheels (don't know width), and an AEM CAI. My exhaust was done by the previous owner so I'm not sure what it was, but the tip was probably around 2.5". I also removed my rear seats, but that weight was more than replaced by the system in the back (3/8" plexi case, 2-12" Kickers, and 2 amps)That's about it for mods that would affect MPG.

I kept very good track of my gas mileage, (32-33) but never divided up statistics based on anything like the time of year. My tank, I believe was somewhere around 12 GAL, and I got around 350 miles per tank. I typically drove pretty fast (cruise at 80) but was almost all highway driving. I tried to brake as little as possible though, such as staying a good distance away from the car in front of me, and coasting to a stop light. Also, I mostly tried to fill up the tank before it got too low, because I heard it would be better (although I didn't know why). However, at the same time, I always considered the fact that a lighter weight would save more mileage. I believe that keeping the tank below 3/4 and filling at around 1/4 might do the trick, although this would require filling more often...

What do you guys think would be the optimal time to fill the tank at (e.g 1/2, 1/4, empty), and what to fill to (e.g. 1/2, 3/4, full)?

I loved my gas mileage despite my speedy driving habits, and I have to commute about 100 miles to school right now, twice a week, which is why I'm trying to find another Civic...

I try to fill my tank up shortly after I drop below a 1/4 tank. No need to get all that crap laying at the bottom of the tank, possibly into my fuel lines. Fill up completely. For your car being a 12 gallon tank, 3 gallons is only 24 pounds more, not much of a difference.

gas is lighter then water I believe, so I don't think 3 gallons even weighs 24 pounds.

filling up based on the fullness level of the tank does vary your fuel mileage, but the amount is so small you actually need lab equipment to measure the amount you are actually saving. so that aspect is ultimately rendered pointless. the biggest thing for you would be to slow it down a bit. your fuel mileage decrease is exponential after you crest 50mph. if you cut your speed by only 5mpg for highway cruising it may give you 10-20% better mileage.

And as for not following people too closely, that is actually costing you fuel mileage. when you follow behind another vehicle, especially a larger one like a truck, they disrupt the air and allow your car to pass through with less resistance - look up drafting in NASCAR - the effect is more dramatic for them, and any passenger car isn't going to have a crazy boost of speed when you break the draft, but it will effect your mpg. i would guess in the 5-10% range.

the 50mph thing isn't necessarily true for everything.

Wind resistance is a big factor yes, but not the only one. You have to take into account where your engine is operating most efficiently (peak torque) and calculate that into the drag of the car, gearing, and tons of other stuff.

last summer a famous vw builder drove a customers engine in his bug across country to do tons and tons of datalogging on his new engine combo, and he noticed that in a beetle he got better gas mileage at around 80mph, than he did at 65.

true dat ^^^ all of it

i find that at 50mph I get 16.5mpg in my ram while hauling 1500lbs in the back. not bad since i only got 18mpg in the old Cherokee when driving the same speed with no cargo.

conversely, in the sol we get the best mileages at 75-80, where we pulled a 45mpg in the Tennessee mountains of all places.

Archived