Transmission Building

Joe W

I have gone through a lot of thought processes when it comes to my car b16 swap, ls vtec, d16 swap zc swap turbo or na exterior stuff etc. One thing that has remained the same is my desire to build up my tranny. I want something fun with a little get up and go. This summer I would like to build it so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should go about this. I know everyone recommeds ssr's trannys but I was thinking about learning what needs to be so that maybe I could do the build. Im thinking about going with a lightweight flywheel and light performance clutch pressure plate combo to go with it. It is a d series tranny so I am up for any reliable info ( this is my transmission a very important part of the car). The positive side is that if i f something up i can find a new tranny.

well, i don't know much about the gearing aspect of things...you'd have to talk to Mike or Chris about that..or the Canadian lol....

but i have a 8 lb Flywheel, Stage 1 Clutch and PP, all from Clutchmasters along with a B&M short throw shifter and i can honestly say it's a lot quicker now than before.

In fact, I tied a '05 Civic Si a few nights ago...20-100 race.

Not bad for a stock LS w/ 230,000 miles lol

I remember Chris recommending OBX LSD, but Quaife is also a great choice.

Yeah i dont know much either but id love to get some info and try my hand at building one. I know some of the logic behind building it but none of what brands are good and where to order from

I originally posted hoping to get one of them on here, but when i get time ill be researching it. it just helps a lot when you get someone who knows about the subject to talk about it.

If it is an EX Tranny, and you want a little more acceleration, get the 4.7 FD.

If you want an all out build, you can do what I planned on doing: EX Trans, MFactory 1.565 3rd, Stock EX 3rd (1.25) for 4th, and MFactory 1.000 5th gear, with the stock 4.25 EX FD.

Here is a link comparing your stock EX trans to the one with the 4.7 FD.

Put in whatever size wheels you may have at the top, and the speeds will change.

4.7 FD vs. Stock EX

Here is a link comparing your stock EX trans to the one with the setup I posted.

Again, put in your size wheels for exact speeds.

My Setup vs. Stock EX

The setup I posted is going to be in the car as soon as MFactory doesn't have them on backorder lol.

I am thinking about an all out build but would that be smart as a DD or just stupid. I mean I really want to build it but not if it affect daily drivability. I am also considering on replacing the other gears because they have a lot of miles on them and a probably worn is this a good idea? Both of those would increase the acceleration quite a bit though i like the second one a bit more.

I forgot to ask where are some places I could find info parts and prices like websites?

I dont think I have an EX trans because my crx is a DX and has the D15b2 and mated tranny. I found out it has has a 3.89 FD. What should I do about that? Could I just get the EX gearing with the setup posted by Solles?

Archived