91 accord lx rough idle

ncarter124

Ok, im buying a 'beater' 91 Accord for $1000. Its generally in good shape. 117k miles (4cyl 5 speed), good body and interior, just has a cracked windshield and minimal rust.

Here is the issue...I went to drive it and when I started it it had a slight skip or miss for about 10 seconds...then it was smooth as silk. Then once I drove it, it ran perfect, but seemed like it was idling too low...around 700 rpm, and thus it was idling kinda rough. I have drivin these before and I know they idle so low they rattle the dash, but this seemed a hair too low. As soon as I touched the gas it smoothed out. It never stalled, and the guy said he just had it tuned up.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

700 RPM is the ideal idle for our generation Accords. As for the rough idle, it might just be that the engine needs to warm up more. If you want a really good site with information about our specific generation Accord, check out Cb7tuner. They answer your questions really quick, and so far it's the best I have found. Later.

Thanks guys. Sorry, been away for awhile. So yeah, I'll check the vacuum lines. From what I gathered when I drove it (picking it up here soon), other than the slight miss the first 5 seconds, it idled the same regardless of how cold or warm the motor is.

Archived