When you rev up your engine does vtec kick in

civicminded10

I heard vtec doesnt kick in but ive seen people get vtec controllers so when they rev thier car up, it kicks in but does it really? Just wondering if a vtec controller will do that, and how effective are they.

...it kicks in when you hit 4500 (or 2500 for VTEC-E engines). Those people with VTEC controllers wasted their money and most likely have VTEC kick in at lower RPMs (this actually hinders performance). VTEC kicks in at higher revs for a reason (to get the intake valve open at the very end of the exhaust stroke as opposed to the beginning of the intake stroke) because in a non vtec engine, its very hard to get fuel and air into the cylinder in a short period of time (fractions of a second). For VTEC-E engines, only one of the two intake valves functions below 2500 rpms to swirl the air into the cylinder and allow a very lean air:fuel ratio heance the 37+ MPG in the Civic HX. Sorry for writing a novel but it seems like you always have a lot of questions about VTEC so there you go.

my D17A2 is vtec e engine and it kicks in at 4500 and you can hear it kick in. so i dont know what your talkin about 2500. and all B series DOHC VTEC engines kick in at 5500 not 4500 so stop passin false info.

(to get the intake valve open at the very end of the exhaust stroke as opposed to the beginning of the intake stroke)...whats this mean?why you make it so complicated. VTEC opens valves further(more lift) and for longer times(more duration). thats it.

my D17A2 is vtec e engine and it kicks in at 4500 and you can hear it kick in. so i dont know what your talkin about 2500. and all B series DOHC VTEC engines kick in at 5500 not 4500 so stop passin false info.

(to get the intake valve open at the very end of the exhaust stroke as opposed to the beginning of the intake stroke)...whats this mean?why you make it so complicated. VTEC opens valves further(more lift) and for longer times(more duration). thats it.

D17A2 1.7 16V SOHC VTEC-II my man... VTEC-E does kick in at 2500. your VTEC-II engine kicks in at 4500... you stop spreadin false info... B series engines do kick in later... since they redline later. D series kicks in at 4500

Not all B series DOHC VTEC's kick in VTEC at 5500. To be exact, my teg engages VTEC at 4500. I think Type R's are at 6000.

To the other's, as SSR said, VTEC will not engage from just reving the engine.

im fairly sure they all engage at 5500 . if your gsr is engaging at 4500 than you have vtev controller , lol. i know you dont. ive driven many gsr tegs and they all engage same as B16 , 5500.

im fairly sure they all engage at 5500 . if your gsr is engaging at 4500 than you have vtev controller , lol. i know you dont. ive driven many gsr tegs and they all engage same as B16 , 5500.

nope, VTEC in a GS-R engages at 4500. the secondaries open up at 5500 or so. and no, VTEC will no engage when it's just being revved.

How about instead of giving everybody carple tunne, haha j/k man... why dont you just go outside and revv up your motor to see if VTEC kicks in?I would have done that first before asking...:thumbsup:

damn really i thought it was 4200, i guess u learn something new everyday

for one vtec only kicks in if its in gear, for two every engines vtec kicks in at diff rpms, the vx kick in at around 3200 while the ex's kick in near 5000, every car is diff, but revving your engine will do nothing other then rev your engine you have to have it in gear as i earlier said for the third lobe to engauge

for one vtec only kicks in if its in gear, for two every engines vtec kicks in at diff rpms, the vx kick in at around 3200 while the ex's kick in near 5000, every car is diff, but revving your engine will do nothing other then rev your engine you have to have it in gear as i earlier said for the third lobe to engauge

I was talking about his first initial question, when he asked if you revv up your motor will VTEC kick in. So i asked why he wouldnt just go outside and try it before asking...that would have answered his question with no doubt...

And i know that VTEC wont kick in by just sitting there revving your motor...

Archived