Royal Purple Oil vs. Mobil 1 Synthetic

I change my oil every 3,000 miles. I've always put Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 oil in my car and it ran great. I recently drained it and put in Royal Purple 5w-30 and it seems to have added some power to my 90 teg. I've heard rumors that Royal Purple was great oil, am I crazy or does Royal Purple Motor oil really add some horsies?

I run it in my H22 del sol, it doesn't add horsepower, but I spoke with several Honda techs and it has better coating sustainability, and in a honda that is crucial, freaked me out the first time I pulled a Honda oil filter and it was dry as a bone.

I dunno if you have a Pep boys around you buy they carry it. I've seen it at Autozone a few times. It's great motor oil. One thing though...when I drain Mobil 1 Synthetic it comes out just a little darker than when I originally fed it. The Royal Purple goes in a nice shade of purple and comes out jet black. wtf. i dunno, maybe its just getting all the grime out of my engine.

Royal Purple is very expensive. The expensive car company uses Royal Purple whenever you bring it in to get an oil change i.e. I know Lexus uses it. The thing about Royal Purple is that if you use it, you must always use it. Before you use it, you have to drain all the oil out of your car.. I can't afford RP in every oil change.. Im not sure if it adds really adds any hp but it rides very smoothly.

I once found a case of Royal Purple at o'reilys on special for...60 something bucks?? This was about 4 years ago so I can't quite remember but its expensive.

Well I drain the oil every time I change it, about every 1,500 miles or so, just because my car is old and burns it off so fast. I didn't know you alwyas had to use it. Uh-oh I guess I'm stuck now. It does ride very smooth though, feels brand new and its 16 years old.

I doubt you HAVE to use it. That's like the myth of people saying if you go from regular oil to synthetic to regualta gain, you can spin a bearing/rod. B.S. Otherwise, they wouldn't make mixed oils like they do (1/2 synthetic)

+1 for Royal Purple

Royal purple is expensive, but imho its worth it,maybe. i watched on like 2 guys garage or sumthin like that where they took this old chevelle and replaced the motor oil, tranny oil, and rear end gear oil with royal purple, and it gave them 15 hp at the wheels.

Royal purple is expensive, but imho its worth it,maybe. i watched on like 2 guys garage or sumthin like that where they took this old chevelle and replaced the motor oil, tranny oil, and rear end gear oil with royal purple, and it gave them 15 hp at the wheels.

when i was an manager at my old shop it ran about 3 dollars a bottle :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

you should use a synthetic oil filter when runnin synthetic oil in my opinion. Synthetic oil only stays the same thickness or viscosity over long periods of time it still gets just as dirty as conventional. and as far as the myth of switchin to synthetic on older models that have run conventional thier whole life , my bud had an 88 crx Si it had 160,000 kms or 100,000 miles (notalot for honda), he switched his car over and spun a bearing. Simply drivin one day and came onto it , and it started knockin , never even got it home like couple miles POW threw a rod ruined engine block and all.Hole on the side of the block you can stick a few fingers in , awful it was , lol

• 1 month later...

Amsoil is the best I have ever used... And no oil can "add" horsepower... it can "let it loose" though. 8)

With Amsoil oil and an Amsoil filter, you can run 10k oil changes without worrying at all, that's with normal street driving with a naturally aspirated motor, on turbo or s/c apps, you can run about 1k more miles safely with no worries.

Studies and proven tests show that it is the best oil... period.

And with the people I know who have used it for years now with crazy amounts of miles and the cars are still running when they shouldnt be.... lol it's got my vote...

I have 6 thousand miles on my Amsoil 5w40 Euro spec oil in my 240sx and it's still pretty clean and runs the same as the day I put it in, great.

Royal Purple is good also, Mobil 1 on the other hand... I and lots of other people I know will never use it, it's not even close to as good as the hype makes it out to be.... I'd rather run a castrol regular type than Mobil 1 synthetic.

Oh and with Amsoil... you can run regular oil with it if needed, yes mixed synthetic and mineral type, it wont hurt it. So if you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a busted oil line or oil pan, throw some regular oil in it and drive it home, it's all good.

Fram filters are crap, simply put... they explode under extreme pressure unlike all the other brands... plus they hardly filter anything, something like 30 microns or some crappy number like that... Amsoil filters down to 15 microns and they are only a couple of bucks more, Mobil 1 filters arent great but they filter around 20-25 microns, which isnt bad but not great either.

If you have the extra cash and care about your motor alot, get your oil analyzed somewhere and they can tell you what you are lacking in an engine oil.

Hope I helped. Peace out.:pirate:

Archived