check engine light on my 1998 Honda Accord LX

phillyjmb

Hello all! I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan(4 cylinder) w/105,000 miles. I just bought it used and the check engine light came on. I had to get it inspected for Pennsylvania inspection and the mechanic got a code back that was P0420, so they said that they need to replace the catalytic converter. I didnt have the money so i took it home and it sat in my driveway for about 3 months. I tried to start it the other day and i had to end up jumping it off because it sat for so long the battery was dead. I took it to the mechanic again and he replaced the battery and the check engine light went off. He says that i have to drive it for about 80 miles to reset the computer. I dont know how im going to drive it for 80 miles without an emission inspection. This doesnt make sense to me. Since the light has went off should i take it down the road to another shop and try to get another emission inspection? Money is kind of tight right now. Is there anyway that I can get this inspection with the light off and worry about repairing my catalytic converter later? Thanks for any help!

• 1 year later...
Hello all! I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan(4 cylinder) w/105,000 miles. I just bought it used and the check engine light came on. I had to get it inspected for Pennsylvania inspection and the mechanic got a code back that was P0420, so they said that they need to replace the catalytic converter. I didnt have the money so i took it home and it sat in my driveway for about 3 months. I tried to start it the other day and i had to end up jumping it off because it sat for so long the battery was dead. I took it to the mechanic again and he replaced the battery and the check engine light went off. He says that i have to drive it for about 80 miles to reset the computer. I dont know how im going to drive it for 80 miles without an emission inspection. This doesnt make sense to me. Since the light has went off should i take it down the road to another shop and try to get another emission inspection? Money is kind of tight right now. Is there anyway that I can get this inspection with the light off and worry about repairing my catalytic converter later? Thanks for any help!

I have the same problem - but my light went off for a while and it passed an emission test just fine. But my dealer wants 700 for a new cat unit while local shops say they'll do it for about 300. Why the big difference?

Archived