LS VTEC swap info.

i need decent reliable motor for a daily driver and some occasional long trips (to the east coast, i live in iowa)

i have read up on the ls/vtec swap and decided that its for me.. so what i need is:

where can i find a really good page that shows step by step on how to build the LS VTEC. i would like to try this swap by myself, i know whats involved in doing so but i need a good site that shows the steps.. thanks

also, if anyone has any advice on how to do it, tools required, or anything like that please let me kno

thanks for the help

you dont swap an ls/vtec.. if you can find one then you might wanna post and ask questions about it first.

ls/vtec is very complicated and will be a great choice if you plan on doing it but will be pretty expensive.

if i were you i'd just swap a b18c1 or b16a3.

You can swap an LS/VTEC. If you build it, and then put it in the car where the other motor used to be, that is a swap.

Complicated ? Well, no not really. If you have some mechanical skill, friends, tools, and know how to read, then you should be fine.

And as far as expense, it will cost more than a B16 swap, but will beat it. It will cost less than a GSR swap. Barely, but still less.

you dont swap an ls/vtec.. if you can find one then you might wanna post and ask questions about it first.

ls/vtec is very complicated and will be a great choice if you plan on doing it but will be pretty expensive.

if i were you i'd just swap a b18c1 or b16a3.

A LS Vtec is a B18 atleast my buddys is.

how is it VERY expensive?

i can find a good used engine for like 500 bucks. tranny for 300, head for under 300.... and some acessories.

its very hard to find a gsr motor around here for even NEAR that price, much less a b16. and i'm not going to pay the outrageous prices on the net.

i dont see what is so hard about tapping a hole, and relocating dowel pins, and running a couple oil lines?

i was just simply wondering where i could find a helpful link to show step by step instructions.

if i need a machinist.. one of my best friends does CNC in the building across the street from me.

thanks for the input otherwise...

If you get the right deal it can be realy cheap. It all depends on who you know and where you look. Like my budy told me he would drop a LS motor and trany in my CRX for $1,200. I just dont know if I want to build a new one or have him do it for me. Im not worryed about the money I just want it to be right. I cant aford to buy one right now but I can save for it if I know it will be done right.

I did an LS/VTEC swap in my 96 civic dx. I had to track down a reprogrammed p28 ecu (rep for DOHC vtec) because my b18a block didnt have a hole for the knock sensor so i had to get an ecu that didnt require one. The ecu also has two wires comming out of it... one for the IAB on the gsr intake manifold, and the other for the VTEC solonoid. Then after i got the ecu, i had to get a cable conversion kit for the tranny, since it was a cable, then i had to buy the mounts to mount the motor in the car. I had to get the driver side mount, and 99 civic si rear tranny mount bracket and the b series shift linkage. Also... i had to get all obd2 stuff for the head since it came out of an obd0 car... such as the obd2 gsr injectors and the obd2 gsr distributor.

So as u can see i had to get a ton of crap for the swap... in other words if u have an obd2 car... get an obd2 motor.

But as for the Ls/VTEC is was really fast. All i had was a header, larger throttle body, and exhaust. It would spin til the end of second :D

I recommend the Ls/VTEC because of its tourque. Just make sure to buy a type-r oil pump to oil the motor since the ls/vtec has from what people say... oil problems. (i never had any)

If anyone is going to do the swap just take your time, enlarge the oil journals in the block, buy a type-r oil pump and after that... BUILD IT.

BTW... i sold my civic and i still have all this old honda stuff lying around in the garage. I have: OBD1 ecu reprogrammed for DOHC and does not require the knock sensor to run VTEC (<<ls/VTEC people), 0bd2 to obd1 conversion harness, i have the 99-00 civic si rear tranny bracket, b-series shift linkage for a 92-00 civic, and AVID racing cable to hydraulic transmission conversion kit, 98 gsr injectors. Also i have a ported/polished D16Y8 head.

If your interested in any of this email me at: evilneighbor667@aol.com

CR-VTEC > LS-VTEC

oh, and this 675whp LS-VTEC....I'm calling BS on that one.

count me in on that.

now that i am thinkin about it, bbs, a kid i knew had a cr-vtec swap in his sol. too bad someone stole it.

i wasnt too impressed with it, maybe it was because i already had my turbo in my sol so i was used to the crazy torque i had with that. it did have good pull though.

Archived