89 CRX Si - swapping d16a6

javelina

Hello group,

I've got a stock 89 CRX Si, 5spd, with the d16a6 engine. The current motor is pretty

tired.

Have the opportunity to buy a JDM d16a6 (plus shipping) for approx. $325.

No interest with bumping up power, with another type of engine. Going stock is fine

with me.

Any gotcha's I should be worried about with swapping a d16a6 with another? A weekend

job?

thanx,

Javelina

I've rebuilt a few V8's in the past. (Dodge 318 & 383, plus a Chevy 350). So I'm not new

to engine work. Don't mind getting greasy.....

glad to hear it should be ok. The car will be used by my kid now. If he wants to throw a VTEC

into it, he can save the bucks down the road. Right now, I just need something reliable and "cheap".

thanx for the reply.

I'll keep the site posted on my progress, if anyone is interested. I'm going to pull the trigger on

the JDM engine. Should have the engine by Friday, and I plan on putting it in over the weekend.

Javelina

How is "1-2 ton hoist" a hoist point on a motor? Re-read what she asked for. I've never had this motor so I couldn't say check and see if you can hoist it up by the motor mounts or in that area. That sould be strong enough to hold.

Oh and I'm assuming your female based on the name Javalina. Most names that end in "a" are female.

a dude.... no worries.... Javelina are wild animals that are out here in

the Arizona desert. They look like wild pigs.

I'll try the motor mounts. thx. for the help and input.

The engine will be here on Friday morning.

by the way, what do you estimate a "long block" d16a6 weighs?

(just for grins).

never attempted a transverse axle. I presume the engine/transaxle must

come out as a unit first, for me to replace the engine. It seems awfully tight

to try and just pull the engine.

just preparing myself for all the work that lies ahead.:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I just swapped in my rebuilt d16a6 and if you look in your helm's manual (assuming you've got one, trust me you'll need it) it'll tell you where you should lift up the motor. basically i hooked up one end of the chain to the right backside of the head and looped it over to the transmission bracket where the clutch cable goes. the whole idea is if your taking out the motor & transmission together you want the right side (timing belt side) of the motor to come out first then that will allow the transmission to come out smoothly. if you try to bring it out leveled out the transmission will hit the frame. basically what i did was left a couple of inches of slack in the chain on the transmission side. good luck with the swap!

• 3 weeks later...

my Son and I finished the engine swap, (installing the JDM engine). The engine

fired right up! No leaks, nothing! Just need to verify the timing now, and the clutch could

use a little adjustment.

Now the fun part, it's gotta pass emissions. (Arizona, not CA). We re-used all the

US engine parts, so the smog, exhaust, and the remaining emission items are in place.

The new engine is really purring along just fine.

We ended up putting in rebuilt half shafts as well. Followed the steps from this page,

(really helped).

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416

• 4 weeks later...

Archived