I am about to buy a 1991 accord ex and it has problems.

WebDawg

I am in the middle of buying a 1991 accord ex.

The crazy part about it is that thier is so little rust. I am amazed.

How should i keep it in such good condition? No Rust == Good For Me.

Should I get the car oiled. They drill holes in certian places and put a special mix in.

Also. I had a civic about the same year and it seems after a while the tranny starts to shift just a bit hard. I dont know if i want to change the oil cause i know that can cause problems if it isnt done on a schedule or in a last ditch effort.

Lubeguard seem to be on consumer reports as a manufacture reccomended thing? Should i get that and put it in? Will it work? and can I use something like Lucus instead. I would rather stick with the lube guard because they say to.

I am going to put synthetic and lucas in on the first oil change. Good idea. What weight should i use. Its going to be winter soon. I used to use the toughguard filters. I like em.

GTG more on it later.

Thanks,

WebDawg

1. What area are you in? I take it around great lakes, or on either coast? Next to no rust issues here in I-DA-HO! :thumbsup: Only good thing about this damn state! >_<

2. Washing it especially in winter is a must! Keep all debris out of wheel wells, and road deicers (calcium chloride, and magnesium chloride) are actually more corrosive than salt, and attacks wiring, and metal even worse!

3. Never heard of drilling holes and adding protectant?

4. Automatic in civic?

5. Adding lubricants to band-aid problem, is not always a good idea?

6. What synthetic oil are you looking at? I just went to Amsoil, and am curious to see my results! I am 5-30 year around

7. Tough guard filters are ok, I cant remember do they have a bypass?

One reply?

I may have to find better forums.

This is funny. Had your questions had any relevance I am sure someone would have responded.

It is a 17 year old car. The only thing that will stop it from rusting is if you park it in your garage and never drive it.

Same thing goes for the trans. What damage there is has long since been done and cannot be reversed. At best check the fluid for metal and change the fluid if needed.

Putting synthetic in the engine at this point would likely be a waste of money given the age and mileage for the reasons noted above.

+1 ^

I am going to put synthetic and lucas in on the first oil change. Good idea.

You sound like you're answering your own questions, but I agree with what xeryon said above ^.

Get some oil for high mileage engines and use the weight it says right on your oil cap.

<br />1. What area are you in? I take it around great lakes, or on either coast? Next to no rust issues here in I-DA-HO! :thumbsup: Only good thing about this damn state! >_< <br /><br />2. Washing it especially in winter is a must! Keep all debris out of wheel wells, and road deicers (calcium chloride, and magnesium chloride) are actually more corrosive than salt, and attacks wiring, and metal even worse!<br /><br />3. Never heard of drilling holes and adding protectant?<br /><br />4. Automatic in civic?<br /><br />5. Adding lubricants to band-aid problem, is not always a good idea?<br /><br />6. What synthetic oil are you looking at? I just went to Amsoil, and am curious to see my results! I am 5-30 year around<br /><br />7. Tough guard filters are ok, I cant remember do they have a bypass?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Best reply yet.

The car has no rust on it now. Its amazing.

Im gonna keep it cleaner then hell.

17 Years Old?

Heh. Who cares. We all know these cars hold there value if they are treated right.

Im not trying to cover up any problems. The transmission is good. I can tell. But I think im still going to put that lubeguard stuff in it.

This is an accord.

What kind of filter do you recommend?

I was just going for some synthetic at advance auto.

Syntec maby.

No bypass on the filters. Why would i need that?

Web

Archived