Found Copper in Oil Pan????

dsettlemoir

spun bearing

Copper looking material looks like a thin washer sized curved strips with what looks like copper on one side and polished metal on the other. The estimated size of the washer would be about 1-2 inches around.

The largest piece was about the size of a match from a book of matches. The other pieces were smaller flakes maybe the size (not thickness) of a rice cripy. Yes, I have children!

If it would help, I might be able to take a picture and add to the post or e-mail to you.

post the picture here because I want to see it too... :D

and are you thinking it's Copper because of the color? it could be that a part of it has corroded and has become orangish and that's making you think it's Copper? just an idea...

EDIT: lol, where is James Matteu to correct me on the chemistry lol jk

I'm here, but I'm waiting for the photo to pass judgement on the composition of the alloy he is referring to.

I might not be able to determine what it is just from a photo since most engine internals take on a certain patina as they age.

In the lab we use metal test strips. If it was me, I would cut a small piece off and drop it into some industrial toilet cleaner I have and see if it turns light-blue (which indicates a copper complex in a low-pH solution).

I hope he takes pictures of the pieces after they have been cleaned.

post the picture here because I want to see it too... :D

and are you thinking it's Copper because of the color? it could be that a part of it has corroded and has become orangish and that's making you think it's Copper? just an idea...

Due to the copper color only.

Thanks for all the help. My issue was the bearings, both main and rod. I've had to ordered new ones locally.

I would not have checked the bearings if not for this forum. You guys saved me a ton of money and headache in the long run. Again thanks alot.

Archived