DOHC or VTEC swap

Igotagun87

I have an '86 Prelude Si which is in very good condition. It's the only one around of its kind with the shape that its in. I hate to sell it for a new car, but I want something more than a SOHC engine. I would like to swap out a DOHC or some kind of VTEC engine. Which should I get, and is there anything else I will need to do besides put in the engine?

The engine in it now is a SOHC and it feels a bit lacking. And as the engine is now, there isn't much out there for it. A newer engine would open it up to more parts. I was thinking of even getting a 4th generation Prelude engine for it. But if I could get a hold of a VTEC in a good price range then I would use it.

• 3 weeks later...

hol up a minute i just realized that there was talk about a turbo being good on a h22. That is very incorrect. The h22 are not made for forced induction. If your talking about turboing something the b16 or 18 would be your best bet. Even the h23 would be better for turboing than the h22 due to compression. If u are going to turbo the h22 you've got a lot of work ahead of you and will prolly end up spending a lot more on getting it setup for turbo than anything else.

DUDE listen to me again. The h22 in a prelude or whatever its goin in is NOT A GOOD TURBO MOTOR. There is too much work that goes into setting it up for a turbo The only reason i said b16 or 18 is beacuse those are decent motors to turbo. Even the f22 would be better to turbo than the h22 because it is an iron block stock. The compression is better on the h23 which makes it better to turbo. I knew what they were talking about i was just giving examples of decent motors to turbo. So if the money isnt a factor and you dont mind getting another engine go ahead and turbo the h22. GDI's

DUDE listen to me again. The h22 in a prelude or whatever its goin in is NOT A GOOD TURBO MOTOR. There is too much work that goes into setting it up for a turbo The only reason i said b16 or 18 is beacuse those are decent motors to turbo. Even the f22 would be better to turbo than the h22 because it is an iron block stock. The compression is better on the h23 which makes it better to turbo. I knew what they were talking about i was just giving examples of decent motors to turbo. So if the money isnt a factor and you dont mind getting another engine go ahead and turbo the h22. GDI's

ill agree that its not the best to turbo, but i can be done. if hes willing to build it right to run higher psi it will be fine.

you can boost it, your just going to have to run really low psi so you dont fawk anything up.

and if money wasnt a factor, he can just build the damn thing and turbo it.

Thats all that i was saying it can be done, but to get good boost out of a turboed h22 you will have to go through a lot of crap which = money. The f22 all motor isnt gonna give you much.power if your planning on going na tuning then i would say get the h22 but if your trying to turbo it then stick with the f22. Right now i'm building up my old f22b (sohc vtec) for turbo. So i still have a spare engine to play with but if money is an issue then just buy the h22 and bolt ons for it. Good Luck

Archived